2015 Yukon Wheel Corrosion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up this set of 20” rims off a yukon. They have this weird corrosion in the clear coat. What can I do to fix this? If theres already a thread on it that’d be great.

70E6828B-A777-4FA6-AE62-92FACAEA8D16.jpeg

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About the only thing you can do is strip the clear coat off. There are a few accessible chemicals you can used to do this yourself. I can’t think of the name but it’s airstrip something airstrip paint thinner or the like? Spray it on let it set, then scrap the clear off with a plastic putty knife. Then make 1 of 2 choices:

A. Re clear coat them with clear paint or powder coated clear.

B. Don’t re apply clear coat and continue to clean them regularly and often.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check with the high end Dealers as they usually have companies that specialize in wheel repair.

freods

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
About the only thing you can do is strip the clear coat off. There are a few accessible chemicals you can used to do this yourself. I can’t think of the name but it’s airstrip something airstrip paint thinner or the like? Spray it on let it set, then scrap the clear off with a plastic putty knife. Then make 1 of 2 choices:

A. Re clear coat them with clear paint or powder coated clear.

B. Don’t re apply clear coat and continue to clean them regularly and often.
Aircraft Remover. It is made by Rustoleum and works great.

OP
OP
CJ Rodarme

CJ Rodarme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aircraft Remover. It is made by Rustoleum and works great.
I’m very hesitant to use it, because I want to maintain the painted parts around it. I could try to tape it up but I’m worried it would still mess some of it up

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m very hesitant to use it, because I want to maintain the painted parts around it. I could try to tape it up but I’m worried it would still mess some of it up
Take the tires off the vehicle and cover the rubber and then spray or paint the remover on where the clear coat is.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife’s wheels were like this on her MB. Car was only 2 years old when she bought it. Ended up sandblasting and getting powder coated

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My pressure washer removed it on a Mazda wheel one time by accident. It’s worth a try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157