Corroded Rear AC Lines 2021 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mldkfa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I had my 2021 Yukon XL SLT in for a rear seatbelt replacement due to holes in the webbing. I dropped the truck off Friday morning, picked it up Friday night (after the shop had closed) and found my AC wasn't working. This truck has 36,700 miles on it and I've had it for 2 years and 2 months.

Brought the truck back in on Monday first thing. The first thing the guy says is, it's out of warranty (by 700 miles!). They take the truck and diagnose a leak in the rear AC coolant lines due to corrosion. Blames it on my dirt road and having mud caked on the lines. They're working with me on the price to replace the lines (originally quoted me $2400, now saying around $700), but I still think that this should fall under warranty or might have been cause by the total removal of my rear seat, interior paneling, etc. when fixing the belt.

Parts are back ordered until sometime in August, until then I have no AC:( Anyone have a similiar experience? Should an AC line corrode in under 3 years? How do I go about requesting a warranty coverage when the dealership states they can't help me with it?

Thanks!

2021 Yukon XL XLT

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks. I would think they’d cover it fully as part of goodwill, especially with it si close to going out of warranty.

Course I can’t believe they corroded so quickly…that doesn’t seem right.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Service mgr should step up. Mine would, but he knows I’ve purchased 4 vehicles there, and sold him my wife’s CTS.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Corrosion caused the damage? On a 2 year old vehicle?

Straight from their website:

In addition, rust-through corrosion will be covered for 6 years/100,000 miles (whichever comes first).

Problem is things get real subjective at the dealership when it comes to “rust-through”.

IMO if there’s enough corrosion/rust to damage something to the extent that it needs replaced then I’m not sure how else you define “rust-through”.

If the dealer doesn’t agree I’d politely ask them to explain it differently in a logical manner than makes sense and see what they say.

I’d tell them they better figure it out. I wouldn’t pay a damn thing.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at it yourself? Those AC lines are aluminum - they shouldn't be corroding in 2 years, let alone the life of the vehicle. They're pretty well shielded from road grime - just above the muffler and behind the wheel liner - I don't see how driving on a dirt road would fill them up with mud.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aluminum lines corroded? Something more than normal use caused it. Aluminum gets a petina when it oxidizes so corrosion happened somewhere or a fault in manufacturing.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Unless you were driving in the salt flats and left a salt cake on there for the entire time you owned it. I call BS. I've seen farm trucks that have been coated in mud and cow shit since day one and last almost a decade before failing.

You need the service manager to step up as suggested. I'd also get on the line with GM customer service and get a case going. I wouldn't pay a dime as @CMoore711 said.

What a joke. Sorry man

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You also might be onto the seat belt thing.....if they pulled the carpet out, etc to replace the belts. It would be super easy to disrupt something by a careless tech on flat rate.....then blame it on no warranty. They don't want to cover it because it will probably prove they did a hack job and screwed some stuff up.

trottida

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The Aluminum lines do get pitted and corrode however 2 years is not acceptable performance. Both my former 2005 and my current 2011 rear lines gave way at around the 11 year mark. I replaced the rear lines on my 2011 in September 2021 with OEM replacements and just had them corrode through this spring. The parts warranty is 12 months so I was on the hook for lines again. $700 CAD for the lines plus another $300+ for the required compression fittings. It is labour intensive too. The parts are not cheap however I believe the OEM parts supplier cheeped out on quality. Not nearly as good quality as the originals. Perhaps the same supplier for the 2021's.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they actually did corrode in 2 years, I'm NEVER buying a 2021 or newer GM, and/or I'll get good at the repairs and pick em up cheap as they bite the dust and resell.

What a joke all the way around - whether on GM piss poor quality or a ****** dealership. That should be goodwilled ALL day long for 700 miles out of warranty. I know of people who got leather seats replaced in a 6 year old truck because it only had 22k on it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo