2014 Yukon 6.2L lifter noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it is def a L94. I plan on keeping the Yukon for as long as possible. Especially now that I got a new vehicle for the wife and kids, so they can stay out of it.

I am just looking to get more towing power out of the upgrade/rebuild. Not looking for a hot rod. Just upgrades that will make me a little less anxious while towing. Towing was the primary reason for the purchase. I have had it since 2015 at ~19k miles.
Sounds exactly like what my priorities were when I started my build. Really, really happy with the results now. With the benefit of hindsight, there are a few things I would do differently if I were starting over. One is that I wouldn't worry about the trunnion upgrade. Another is that I would have the heads sent out for a proper valve job. Finally, I wouldn't use Fel-Pro valve cover gaskets and would instead choose either Mahle or OEM. I might also research valve springs a bit more and perhaps "spring" for a set of PAC's. Everything else I would do the same way all over again.

OP
OP
T

theJime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Perfect feedback, thank you. I am hoping that combining the DOD delete with a proper torque converter, adding better air intake to the stock intake manifold, and adding long tube headers, I will get somewhere near where I want to be with the truck.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or just look for a good used motor from a Sierra Denali that had no AFM. Not sure what the cost would be, but maybe and easier process overall?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perfect feedback, thank you. I am hoping that combining the DOD delete with a proper torque converter, adding better air intake to the stock intake manifold, and adding long tube headers, I will get somewhere near where I want to be with the truck.
Pretty hard to gain any benefits on the intake of one of these (unless you install a Maggie :p), but the long tube headers will definitely help you take better advantage of the bigger cam.

Just took the 2012 out to the liquor store and every time I drive it it makes me smile. The difference in responsiveness and the feeling of power under foot between it and my 2007 is stark. That Cam Motion cam wakes that engine up!

OP
OP
T

theJime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The stock intake manifold is great on this truck., no need to replace. I was referring to getting colder air to it. Lower air temps will help get a lower rpm torque gain.

I checked on grabbing a used motor and going that route but the place I found was 5200 and no clue to history. I would still want to replace the internals. I can just rebuild the one I have without that added cost of the starting point.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem is when your replacement motor has a lifter failure, I would stick to building with the block you have been taking care of rather than rolling the dice on another time bomb.

Hoelimited

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also I'd go ahead and get the torque converter changed and also have a tuner tune the transmission. Makes it drive a lot better. Also get a ZL1 converter. They're better made and the stall speed is a little bit higher than stock. If you want complete worry free driving, get a billet converter. Let me explain why- partly why the 6l80/90 converters fail is because of the mounting points to the flywheel. The factory converters are welded on the disc. (Bottom half of converter) that heat warps that plate. You get the "chevy shimmy" at certain speeds and other issues. The zl1s are done a little better but the billet is cut by cnc as 1 piece. No welding anywhere. The converter stays straight and the tranny will last a long time

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also I'd go ahead and get the torque converter changed and also have a tuner tune the transmission. Makes it drive a lot better. Also get a ZL1 converter. They're better made and the stall speed is a little bit higher than stock. If you want complete worry free driving, get a billet converter. Let me explain why- partly why the 6l80/90 converters fail is because of the mounting points to the flywheel. The factory converters are welded on the disc. (Bottom half of converter) that heat warps that plate. You get the "chevy shimmy" at certain speeds and other issues. The zl1s are done a little better but the billet is cut by cnc as 1 piece. No welding anywhere. The converter stays straight and the tranny will last a long time
100%. I put a billet converter made by CVC (model BU60FHD) in my 2012 for that very reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons