2014 Yukon 6.2L lifter noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theJime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was finally able to get a video sound clip what my engine with the ticking noise. I have a 2014 Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2. It has about 115k on the Yukon. It doesn't get driven but maybe once or twice a week. Normal oil change intervals with the oil life reminder helping out.

OP
OP
T

theJime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay, thanks for confirming my thoughts. I had a 2005 pathfinder that I had to do some top and front end engine work on when replacing the timing chain tensioners so I feel I can complete this job. I have gotten a replacement vehicle for the family so I don't feel rushed with he job. Time to start gathering parts. I took the part list from Geotrash and his journey as a starting point but since I have replaced the family vehicle I want to upgrade the cam(and related components) along with an upgraded torque converter.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most definitely a lifter. What a bummer at 115K. I hope the repair goes well for you

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
2014 YXL Denali, you’re at least, a minimum halfway through the useable lifespan of that drivetrain and truck.

Remove the offending part(s), get the appropriate tune and enjoy the boring longevity and performance of a L86 without AFM. Make sure you order over the phone so you get a Gen4 kit as Gen5 L86 start in 2014 for trucks.

2014 GMC Yukon XL Denali 6.2, ~ 145,000 miles now has lifter tick.
I'm looking into delete kits from Texas Speed and https://briantooleyracing.com/ and https://www.texas-speed.com/.
Any other suggested suppliers?

How involved is it to replace the oil pump?
What is the easiest way of having the ECM reprogrammed to work without the AFM/DOD pieces in place.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2014 YXL Denali, you’re at least, a minimum halfway through the useable lifespan of that drivetrain and truck.

Remove the offending part(s), get the appropriate tune and enjoy the boring longevity and performance of a L86 without AFM. Make sure you order over the phone so you get a Gen4 kit as Gen5 L86 start in 2014 for trucks.
Are you sure that the 2014 has the L86? I thought that engine shipped in the 2014 Sierra but the Yukon got the L94.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

theJime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
it is def a L94. I plan on keeping the Yukon for as long as possible. Especially now that I got a new vehicle for the wife and kids, so they can stay out of it.

I am just looking to get more towing power out of the upgrade/rebuild. Not looking for a hot rod. Just upgrades that will make me a little less anxious while towing. Towing was the primary reason for the purchase. I have had it since 2015 at ~19k miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts