2014 SSV..Brands of fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally feeling better that I can get back under the Tahoe and do some preventative maintenance. She’s now at 115,000 ish miles.

Getting a stock filter for the trans, what’s everyone using for fluid and gaskets? Stick with Dino fluid or go synthetic?

Have diff fluid for front and rear. Have to crawl under there to see if there’s drain and fill plugs for those. My Silverado did, am I ass-um-ing wrong?

Also picking up the transfer case additive from the dealer for the transfer case.

Reaction score
Doesn't the transfer case just take Dexron VI trans fluid? I didn't know it needed an additive, at least the AWD one in the Denali doesn't.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally feeling better that I can get back under the Tahoe and do some preventative maintenance. She’s now at 115,000 ish miles.

Getting a stock filter for the trans, what’s everyone using for fluid and gaskets? Stick with Dino fluid or go synthetic?

Have diff fluid for front and rear. Have to crawl under there to see if there’s drain and fill plugs for those. My Silverado did, am I ass-um-ing wrong?

Also picking up the transfer case additive from the dealer for the transfer case.

Good to hear Paul! The transmission and transfer case take Dexron VI which is a full synthetic fluid. There is no need for an additive. I happen to have gotten a good deal on ACDelco DEX VI so that's what I've been using and have enough for one more change. The TC and front axle have drain plugs, the rear differential cover has to come off to drain the fluid and the gasket is re-usable. I've opened mine up twice and reused it without sealant and will do it a third time before the year is out as it is about that time again.

Incognito

Reaction score
I went with ACDelco for everything at 94K miles. Did the transmission, differentials, transfer case, brake fluid, and power steering. It was expensive but it'll be years before it has to be done again. The original transmission gasket was in good shape so I reused it.

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all,

I assumed that this one needed the additive for the transfer case. Good to know it doesn’t, Dex 6 fluid for both the trans and transfer case, works for me. I typically get the gaskets for the just in case shot happens. If I don’t use them I return them. Always been lucky with Fel-pro gaskets wasn’t sure if anyone uses them still.
Gotta remember that the last truck I have is 03 Silverado with tons of miles. I managed to resurrect it after I thought it was done. That truck still drives great.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used ACDelco full synthetic Dexron-VI as well. Part number 10-9244 (#88865618) for a one-gallon jug. There's another part number for ACDelco Dexron-VI, but I think it's synthetic blend.

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the front n rear differential fluid changed out. Took the if the rear seal starts to leak then I’ll replace the gasket. So far so good, a few hundred miles and it’s not leaking.

Cause my ole pickemuptruck had a lift I was able to drop out the trans pan without interference with the exhaust.

Do I need to drop the exhaust on these trucks to get the pan out and change out the filter?

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used ACDelco full synthetic Dexron-VI as well. Part number 10-9244 (#88865618) for a one-gallon jug. There's another part number for ACDelco Dexron-VI, but I think it's synthetic blend.
This is the Regular fluid not Synthetic. I purchased it about eight years ago.DSCF3740.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700