Cold's 05 Yukon Denali Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cold

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently purchased this truck on 9/1/21, I had been working long hours and hadn't had much sleep. So against my better judgement I bought this truck without really going over it too well.... That being said I've found all sorts of issues I have to fix/figure out! I don't have a lot of pictures of this stuff at the moment but I will get some from here on out to document the build better!

First issue was the gauge cluster, multiple stepper motors out, I trailered the truck home so I was able to stop at the local Turbo repair shop, where the owner also rebuilds clusters as a side hustle. Dropped it off with him at 3pm and picked it up the next morning. Total price $137.00 after tax

Next issue was trying to fuel up the truck after I got it off the trailer. I wanted to go put some 93 in it. I didn't take very much, 5 gallons so I figured it was full. Remember the gauge cluster was still getting rebuilt, so the next day I get the cluster back and installed... Yeah you guessed it, it was on E and the light was on!! :mad: Whip out the ole iPhone 12 Max Pro and get to Google'n issues. Watched a video and seen the charcoal canister and vapor vent solenoid were probably the issue (I couldn't pull the codes and Ill explain why shortly). So run up to AutoZone (only one local with the parts in stock), just over $200 and off home to swap the parts. 30 mins later I have both parts replaced after cussing my man fingers because the small line on the charcoal canister was a PITA for me to get off... So here I go all excited to fuel up....***** Yeah... You guessed it, there was a part 2 too said video... Watched it and seen the vent lines get clogged with the bad charcoal canister material... I'll worry about that later.... About a week later I dropped the tank and cleared the vent lines, fills just fine now!

Next was I noticed the truck labored to turn over when starting so I went to the parts store to buy a new battery, Well here's where it snow balled... Buy the correct battery, use their cart to swap so I can give them the core back. Noticed the battery was way too small and also top post! So I go back in to see if the have a top post and they didn't so I got the little screw in adapters to get the post to fit.... Yeah as soon as I disconnected the battery the truck dies so I'm like great I need a alternator too! So I continue to attempt to replace the battery but once again the terminal ends are trash and wont open because the bolts are old and I buy new ends, fight that and get it installed. Walk inside and buy a 160 amp alternator and replace it in the parking lot...

New battery- $180
Conversion and terminal ends- $20
160 amp Alt+- $240

Still get a check battery light and service charging system, so I need to do the big 3 correctly, double check the grounds are good and maybe replace the batter voltage meter on the negative battery cable?

Driver seat wouldn't move, lucked out and I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it started working, first win! Ordered a new cover for the controls because it was broken. $20 I think from A1 auto.

Stock tail lights were blacked out and that was chipping off plus they both had cracks in them so a set of Spyder LED units were ordered and installed, the deep red and smoked lens.

I noticed the transmission fluid was dark so I used the $10 hand siphon pump down the dip stick tube and sucked as much from the pan dry and refilled it. A week later I dropped the pan and replaced the filter and added Vette servos but there was metal on the old transmission filter so I called around for rebuild pricing....She failed later that day on my way home from work. Now (9/12/21) I'm picking it up from my Aunt's house and hauling it about a hr away to the best transmission shop in the area. He's gonna rebuild and upgrade the transmission and freshen the transfer case while its out. I ordered a Fti 3600 stall to throw in from Summit Racing since Yank and Circle D are all made to order and have a 4-6 week lead time.

I have a set of 243's I plan on having ported by the local engine shop PTS in Sibley La, (Power To Spare) if you're familiar with North Louisiana you know that shop and the race engines they put out for all the dirt track guys. Also a little know fact, the owner of PTS helped Mast with their LS head CNC programs, I have a TBSS intake as well to swap on too. So new lifters, lifter trays, LS9 head gaskets, ARP head bolts, Ported 243's, TBSS intake and I haven't decided on the cam 100% yet. I like the specs on Summit's Pro LS Stage 2 high lift truck cam (218/227 .600/.600 112lsa) or the stage 3 high lift truck cam (216/220 .600/.600 112lsa) from TSP. I will also add a set of 50# Delphi truck injectors to make sure injector duty cycle is good.

So with the engine and transmission getting worked over the factory air shocks and compressor are getting thrown out the window and we will add a Biotech drop kit and their street shocks will replace the factory units. I will also add a set of 22's and some 305/40's at a later date.

I'll add pictures as I go. Stay tuned for updates!

Yukon.jpg

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think about how well you will know this truck, when you finally get it up and running. :)

I'm confident that you will be quite happy with it, once all of the work is done.

OP
OP
C

Cold

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Think about how well you will know this truck, when you finally get it up and running. :)

I'm confident that you will be quite happy with it, once all of the work is done.
I’ll definitely know it inside and out, but I plan on using it as my daily so I need to know 100% she won’t leave me high and dry on the side of the road!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I like where you're going with your build. Welcome from NJ. That's a pretty high stall convertor. What springs are you going with?

OP
OP
C

Cold

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Today we drop the truck off to have the blown stock 4l65e rebuilt with ALL the billet parts! Billet input & output shafts, billet servos, billet pump rotor! Paired with a FTI billet 3600 converter, we are on the way for a nasty daily driver! Still trying to figure out what cam I want to order but I picked up my heads to drop off to get ported and milled! I'm probably building it backwards because there are a few things I need to address but with the trans loosing all forward gears it pushed my hand a little!

OP
OP
C

Cold

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I like where you're going with your build. Welcome from NJ. That's a pretty high stall convertor. What springs are you going with?
Which springs are you referring too? If you’re talking about lowering springs then it’s the Beltech springs in their drop kit. If valve springs, Pat G custom spec’d a came for me and and suggested PRC/PAC .660’s with Ti retailers.

OP
OP
C

Cold

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I filled out a Pat G custom cam worksheet to have a custom spec’d cam for my setup. He sent me a email yesterday afternoon and this is the specs 226/232 .600"/.600" 113 LSA +4. Hopefully this beast rips!!

Also my FTI stall showed up from Summit Racing!
0FE63F7F-4D69-43BB-8BC5-99417C865AE5.jpeg020CABA7-DBE5-4F7E-9CBB-75544D329376.jpeg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Which springs are you referring too? If you’re talking about lowering springs then it’s the Beltech springs in their drop kit. If valve springs, Pat G custom spec’d a came for me and and suggested PRC/PAC .660’s with Ti retailers.
Was asking about valve springs. Thx.

OP
OP
C

Cold

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Was asking about valve springs. Thx.
Pat sends all his cam customers to TSP so I’ll be ordering a cam kit from them in the next month or so. Not trying to piss of the wife with all the parts coming . Speed Engineering headers and their CAI will be here Monday, the Tru Cool 40k should be here today.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Pat sends all his cam customers to TSP so I’ll be ordering a cam kit from them in the next month or so. Not trying to piss of the wife with all the parts coming . Speed Engineering headers and their CAI will be here Monday, the Tru Cool 40k should be here today.
Let us know how your Speed Engineering headers fit. Mechanic had to take out my front prop shaft to get them to fit on my 03, so no more 4wd.