2013 Yukon..Strange screaming noise/smoke from passenger side of engine bay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I ran into that when I had the 2009 Suburban. Went to buy new belts and kept coming across “special tool required”.

Holy crap. I would never have thought a stretchable belt could be reliable. Or even be made. Crazy. Thanks for the warning lol. Stick with my '07 for a while.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they went that route for a couple reasons 1. to save money & time one less part to put on. 2. it eliminates the tensior pulley making that god awful squeaking noise when they start to fail.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy crap. I would never have thought a stretchable belt could be reliable. Or even be made. Crazy. Thanks for the warning lol. Stick with my '07 for a while.

LOL!

I think a lot of the European cars have been using them for a while now.

I’m sure it is a cost savings measure and a very very very slight bump in fuel economy since they don’t have to pay for the idler assembly and there is a barely detectable reduction of rotating mass and friction from one less idler pulley.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all-

I've been a lurker for a while but finally have hit something that stumps me entirely. My wife drives a 2013 Yukon that has been great since we bought it used about 4 years ago. It now has just over 100k miles and has only needed basic maintenance (and a new accelerator pedal for the sensor).

This morning we started the vehicle and it started to have an intermittent loud screaming type noise. Not quite like a belt squeal, somewhat more intense. I have uploaded a video for your review.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kZ5yUybk6Npzt8xi7

It can be provoked by accelerating slightly while in park.

When the sound happens, some smoke accumulates in the engine bay as well (burnt rubber smell, so maybe it is a belt??)

We recently had a P0455 code pop up, but it seems unrelated to this problem and more likely that I need to replace the gas cap.

Any advice you guys can offer would be huge in helping me knock this out today!

As others have said, replace the belt but you may need a new clutch for the compressor too. You do not HAVE to replace the whole compressor on these as they sell a replacement clutch nowadays.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As several have said, it really seems to be the AC compressor. The location of the smoke comes from that exact spot too. I have a 2013 and it is a stretch belt. I used a brand new razor and it sliced right off. It is behind the serp belt. Gates makes the tool for about 7 dollars to install and it works well. I'd get a light and eyeballs on the compressor as someone helps reproduce it. Compressor is not too expensive, I'd replace the entire unit, if thats what you determine.

steven ross

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all-

I've been a lurker for a while but finally have hit something that stumps me entirely. My wife drives a 2013 Yukon that has been great since we bought it used about 4 years ago. It now has just over 100k miles and has only needed basic maintenance (and a new accelerator pedal for the sensor).

This morning we started the vehicle and it started to have an intermittent loud screaming type noise. Not quite like a belt squeal, somewhat more intense. I have uploaded a video for your review.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kZ5yUybk6Npzt8xi7

It can be provoked by accelerating slightly while in park.

When the sound happens, some smoke accumulates in the engine bay as well (burnt rubber smell, so maybe it is a belt??)

We recently had a P0455 code pop up, but it seems unrelated to this problem and more likely that I need to replace the gas cap.

Any advice you guys can offer would be huge in helping me knock this out today!
Does she brush the curbs a lot when parking? My wife had a similar sound, and does that a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10