Engine dies at 50%+ throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90kpaperweight

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Brand new to the forum here. 2023 Yukon Denali with 3.0 Diesel. Engine completely dies when giving it more than half throttle and throws "Service Emision System See Owners Manual" and "175 mi Until 65 MPH Max Speed". Can reproduce it every single time we try. Started with power cutting in and out rapidly when accelerating, now the engine just dies. Left my wife stranded on the freeway.
The dealership has had it for over a month with still no diagnosis. They have a TAC case open with GMC but still nothing. They have replaced the cam shaft sensor to no avail. Other Googling I've done points to replacing the DEF tank and Sensor. I should mention that this thing has also been guzzling DEF/ 10K miles and has drank over 8 gallons of DEF.
Started the process of a rebuy with GMC but have not heard back. The UAW strike will likely make that more difficult as time passes.
Any ideas or similar threads I may have missed? Thanks in advance!

2023 Yukon Denali
10,000 miles

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd wager there's something wrong in the emissions system. Back pressure issues, sensor issue, plugged for some reason, manufactured wrong, etc. Maybe an injector that is dumping fuel.

BrokerThis

'22 Denali Dmax
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that you are guzzling DEF... many people on the forum seem to be averaging 1000-1400 miles per DEF Gal.

As I haven't experienced this first hand, I can't give any exact advise, but my gut says something with the DEF/Emissions system somewhere. Have you tried the handy "remove battery cables for 10 mins" trick to see if it does a reset somewhere with the computers?

OP
OP

90kpaperweight

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that you are guzzling DEF... many people on the forum seem to be averaging 1000-1400 miles per DEF Gal.

As I haven't experienced this first hand, I can't give any exact advise, but my gut says something with the DEF/Emissions system somewhere. Have you tried the handy "remove battery cables for 10 mins" trick to see if it does a reset somewhere with the computers?
Thanks @BrokerThis . I was basing the DEF consumption as compared to what my 2011 F350 consumed. Good to know that the consumption is not out of line for the GMC. I did not try the ol' disconnect the battery trick. The dealership has had it for over a month now. Maybe the battery will die in wait and the test will take itself.

OP
OP

90kpaperweight

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'd wager there's something wrong in the emissions system. Back pressure issues, sensor issue, plugged for some reason, manufactured wrong, etc. Maybe an injector that is dumping fuel.
My thoughts too @B-train I have asked if they have looked at the DEF tank and sensor. Of course they have not and are for some reason fixed on the cam shaft. I wish we could temporarily disable the emissions limp systems to see if that fixes the problem. My only complaint about diesel is all the emissions equipment that only has to do with cleansing the exhaust and nothing to do with the vehicle functioning. Don't get me wrong, I like the clean air and not a fan of the coal rollers we see out there but when the emissions mess with the operation of the vehicle is where frustration sets in.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Don't see why the strike would effect pencil pushers and the GMC rebuy.

I hate what you are going thru but all these new vehicle problems make me really glad I own my GMT800.

OP
OP

90kpaperweight

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Don't see why the strike would effect pencil pushers and the GMC rebuy.
Hi @OR VietVet .The rebuy would require a like new vehicle being available. My concern is that the strike will limit the new vehicle availability therefore making a rebuy more challenging. I already do not see my build really anywhere nationwide. Black exterior, tan interior, second row bucket sets.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

Hi @OR VietVet .The rebuy would require a like new vehicle being available. My concern is that the strike will limit the new vehicle availability therefore making a rebuy more challenging. I already do not see my build really anywhere nationwide. Black exterior, tan interior, second row bucket sets.
That color combo is jinxed. Do you have a second option?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar