2013 Yukon..Strange screaming noise/smoke from passenger side of engine bay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnboydl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all-

I've been a lurker for a while but finally have hit something that stumps me entirely. My wife drives a 2013 Yukon that has been great since we bought it used about 4 years ago. It now has just over 100k miles and has only needed basic maintenance (and a new accelerator pedal for the sensor).

This morning we started the vehicle and it started to have an intermittent loud screaming type noise. Not quite like a belt squeal, somewhat more intense. I have uploaded a video for your review.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kZ5yUybk6Npzt8xi7

It can be provoked by accelerating slightly while in park.

When the sound happens, some smoke accumulates in the engine bay as well (burnt rubber smell, so maybe it is a belt??)

We recently had a P0455 code pop up, but it seems unrelated to this problem and more likely that I need to replace the gas cap.

Any advice you guys can offer would be huge in helping me knock this out today!

OP
OP
M

mtnboydl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got a friend who suspected the AC compressor relief valve but I'm still going down that rabbit hole at the moment.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all-

I've been a lurker for a while but finally have hit something that stumps me entirely. My wife drives a 2013 Yukon that has been great since we bought it used about 4 years ago. It now has just over 100k miles and has only needed basic maintenance (and a new accelerator pedal for the sensor).

This morning we started the vehicle and it started to have an intermittent loud screaming type noise. Not quite like a belt squeal, somewhat more intense. I have uploaded a video for your review.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kZ5yUybk6Npzt8xi7

It can be provoked by accelerating slightly while in park.

When the sound happens, some smoke accumulates in the engine bay as well (burnt rubber smell, so maybe it is a belt??)

We recently had a P0455 code pop up, but it seems unrelated to this problem and more likely that I need to replace the gas cap.

Any advice you guys can offer would be huge in helping me knock this out today!

Welcome to the forum.

You most likely have a bearing going bad on one of your pulleys. I’d look at the idler pulley for your serpentine belt first, but it could be your alternator, water pump, or A/C. Need to see if you can get a mechanics stethoscope and see if you can pin point the source. They are rather cheap at Harbor Freight or Autozone.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
take the ac belt off, you can leave it just dangling, if the problem is gone then you can still drive it and fix the compressor issue later, don't need ac right now anyway.

OP
OP
M

mtnboydl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am trying to get it to reproduce the sound but nothing is happening. I suspect a bearing issue would cause the smoke to happen? You can see it at the tail end of the video.

May also correlate with the AC compressor clutch engaging (although it won't do it now, of course...)

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
take the ac belt off, you can leave it just dangling, if the problem is gone then you can still drive it and fix the compressor issue later, don't need ac right now anyway.

I think the 2013’s use a stretch to fit belt on the AC. If you take it off, you should replace with a new one so I’d cut it off and plan on replacing it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am trying to get it to reproduce the sound but nothing is happening. I suspect a bearing issue would cause the smoke to happen? You can see it at the tail end of the video.

May also correlate with the AC compressor clutch engaging (although it won't do it now, of course...)
there is nothing else down there but the ac pump and nothing else that would be intermittent, when the compressors go they do some weird stuff, to be safe I would just take the belt off before it freezes up on the highway or blows the compressor out and you end up having to replace the whole ac system. I'm 99% sure the compressor is freezing up and then the belt is still spinning causing the smoke.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the 2013’s use a stretch to fit belt on the AC. If you take it off, you should replace with a new one so I’d cut it off and plan on replacing it.

yes it's a stretch belt, you can get it off with a screw driver and turning the balance with a socket wrench, or just cut it :)

I never heard of this stretch belt shit. Is that for real? LOL. WOW. :confused:o_O Learn't sumptin today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmedsz