2013 Tahoe oil pressure question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

HughW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I believe the low oil pressure light comes on at 10psi, you may want to order a oil test kit from blackstone labs, they will send you the collection kit free and then you send the sample back and the analysis runs about $30 this will tell you if everything is normal or not as far as the engine bearings, etc. If they detect a unusual high amount of metals it will show in the test.
I saved a pint jar of the oil she had at the time of the incident...I will get the kit , thanks

OP
OP
H

HughW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

20 psi at warm idle is normal. The oil pressure should be over 40 psi, as the rpm's go over 2000.
Thanks, when engine is warm, idle is 23, at 2000rpm its arouind 36=37 and at 3000rpm gets to 40

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The minimum oil pressures according to the book, Hot - Idle 6 psi, 18 psi at 2000 rpm, 24 at 4000 rpm. Having said that, most would tell you something is wrong and needs adressing with the numbers above.

How many miles on the engine?

Did the shop tell you why they dismissed they sending unit as the culprit? Did they mention the screen below the sending unit?

PS - If it were me, I wouldn't drive it at all until I knew exactly what the pressure actually was and why.
What book? My engine idles at those numbers.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's my daughter's car and she bought it with under 100,000 mi she has been changing oil around 5000, but after this I am suggesting 3000 mi and with your suggestion, I will have her change in 2000-2500 for a couple of times ...Thanks

Is she using a Mobil 1 oil filter by chance? Those lowered my oil pressure by 2-3 psi compared with stock and the K&Ns that I now use.

OP
OP
H

HughW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My shop manual says that is just fine.
Ref: my daughter's 2013 Tahoe. After getting a red oil warning, Oil and filter was changed and took to shop where they could not find problem with the engine...They overfilled the engine and lifted the rear to check to see that the pick-up tube may be leaking....and determined it was ok. So at this point they said possibly it was Cam bearings, etc...which would require a major repair or new engine. So my daughter decided to just drive it to see if the problem happened again....After driving around town for a couple weeks with no problem, she went on a trip ...about 600 mile round trip, and there was no issues......(Before she left, I changed the oil because it had a couple thousand on it ). I'm no mechanic, but I think the whole problem was from going too long before oil change. I'm insisting that she change oil every 3000 miles .

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ref: my daughter's 2013 Tahoe. After getting a red oil warning, Oil and filter was changed and took to shop where they could not find problem with the engine...They overfilled the engine and lifted the rear to check to see that the pick-up tube may be leaking....and determined it was ok. So at this point they said possibly it was Cam bearings, etc...which would require a major repair or new engine. So my daughter decided to just drive it to see if the problem happened again....After driving around town for a couple weeks with no problem, she went on a trip ...about 600 mile round trip, and there was no issues......(Before she left, I changed the oil because it had a couple thousand on it ). I'm no mechanic, but I think the whole problem was from going too long before oil change. I'm insisting that she change oil every 3000 miles .
I change my oil and filter at 5000 miles. I use a premium Wix filter and synthetic 5W-30 with a 2Dexos spec. I think as important as regular oil changes is keeping an eye on the oil consumption. If your daughter doesn't have any leaks (big spots on the driveway) and she ran it low on oil, it likely is consuming some. Taking a look at the plugs can give you some idea if you are burning a lot of oil. Also, doing a leak down test on the cylinders can tell you if your rings are still sealing well (which they likely are, but..). Finally, an oil catch can installed between the PCV and the intake manifold can help with keeping an eye on how much oil your engine is pumping up through the PCV and keep that oil from making it back into the combustion chambers.

CaptainAmerica1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did this 18 months ago when I bought it. Was datalogging for a mail tune. WOT runs. Oil pressure went to zero and had it towed to the shop. Next day they looked at it, held pressure just fine. Had em change the oil pressure sensor and screen just in case, and I’ve put 15,000 miles on it since without any problems…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts