2012 Yukon XL Denali 6.2L Cam Swap Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love you guys - thanks for checking in. Got home from our 2,000 mile trip on Saturday and the old '07 with 211K on the clock did great hauling our camper. Sunday was unpack and clean, and this afternoon I'll finally get back into the project.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright gents, work has begun again. Oil pan is off, oil pump is off, no nicks or cuts noted with the O-ring for the pick up tube. Looks perfect, and I did install it correctly.

74cdd82e286d77a8273a59669c46a2bd.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have one of those pick up tube clamps? If not I will mail you one; I have a spare. It's great, cheap insurance.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have one of those pick up tube clamps? If not I will mail you one; I have a spare. It's great, cheap insurance.
I don’t! Thank you for the offer, but I’m going to have this thing buttoned up tomorrow I think. Out of curiosity though, what do they look like?

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the driver’s side cylinder head off and found one bad lifter so far. It was the #5 exhaust. That also matches well with the cam lobe that was the most damaged. That said, to my eye, none of the other lifters look like the rollers are damaged at all.

Thoughts? I’m wondering if maybe a bit of grit got in there and stuck the roller. Either way though, the cam was definitely trashed. On most of the lobes in fact.

One more thing… When I installed the pick up tube into the new milling oil pump, the O-ring was a much more snug fit than the one I installed in the factory pump last time around. I’m wondering if even though I got the right red O-ring last time, if it was undersized.

613d7bbd13931e4eedbe87f3905c4630.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the driver’s side cylinder head off and found one bad lifter so far. It was the #5 exhaust. That also matches well with the cam lobe that was the most damaged. That said, to my eye, none of the other lifters look like the rollers are damaged at all.

Thoughts? I’m wondering if maybe a bit of grit got in there and stuck the roller. Either way though, the cam was definitely trashed. On most of the lobes in fact.

One more thing… When I installed the pick up tube into the new milling oil pump, the O-ring was a much more snug fit than the one I installed in the factory pump last time around. I’m wondering if even though I got the right red O-ring last time, if it was undersized.

613d7bbd13931e4eedbe87f3905c4630.jpg

Is that edge of the roller ground off, like it rubbed against the cam lobe or is it broken off, like the metal fractured?

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks to my eye like a chunk came out of the metal, and then the roller got stuck and burnished the rest of it. The roller moves freely, so I suppose it could’ve been a chunk of debris in the roller bearing at some point, but hard to say.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks to my eye like a chunk came out of the metal, and then the roller got stuck and burnished the rest of it. The roller moves freely, so I suppose it could’ve been a chunk of debris in the roller bearing at some point, but hard to say.

Or a fracture in the roller that missed QC or was otherwise invisible. The roller fractures and the metal goes through the oil system, scarring the cam lobes, journals and bearings. The chunk of debris that stopped the roller from moving could've been a piece of the roller itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667