2012 Yukon XL Denali 6.2L Cam Swap Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt your oil pump was the reason for this. If you had good oil pressure, you were getting oil to where it needed to go. Looks like a defective part to me.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt your oil pump was the reason for this. If you had good oil pressure, you were getting oil to where it needed to go. Looks like a defective part to me.

This is what I'm thinking. Maybe a flaw in the hardening process?

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

x2 ive ran engines with zero oil in them and not ended up that bad

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oil pressure was definitely lower than before the swap so something was off, but I agree, the engine was likely getting enough oil. No issues anywhere else but the cam lobes. Even the cam bearings were fine, and the cam was dripping with oil when I pulled it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, the Fel-Pro Perma torque MLS head gaskets looked like new when I pulled them out, but I used new ones anyway. Any opinions about reusing them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Got the driver’s side cylinder head off and found one bad lifter so far. It was the #5 exhaust. That also matches well with the cam lobe that was the most damaged. That said, to my eye, none of the other lifters look like the rollers are damaged at all.

Thoughts? I’m wondering if maybe a bit of grit got in there and stuck the roller. Either way though, the cam was definitely trashed. On most of the lobes in fact.

One more thing… When I installed the pick up tube into the new milling oil pump, the O-ring was a much more snug fit than the one I installed in the factory pump last time around. I’m wondering if even though I got the right red O-ring last time, if it was undersized.

613d7bbd13931e4eedbe87f3905c4630.jpg

Yup, Ill second the opinion of soft/defective cam, Possibly the hardened rollers started destroying the soft cam material from the first startup. Shame how our perception of "quality" is based upon a small companys intent of putting out a good product but you might have an employee with a F'it attitude on a monday/friday and somthing like this happens. This project educated me, And when i do need to reman our engine i will only use OEM components. No hacking intended, It is simply getting so hard to find quality that is real as opposed to simply a verbiage marketing strategy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts