2012 Yukon, 5.3, shop says oil leak in head gasket causing oily plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I think the AFM/DOD is still functioning. The #7 plug has been fouling for so long now. Car has like 130k-plus miles on it.

i have changed the valve cover/PVC and I even swapped out the valve stem seals on #7. That was such an annoying job, the two I removed did seem like the rubber was very hard and the opening for the valve was worn.

i finally took it to a shop. He said the head gasket is leaking oil to the plug.

I have not heard of oil getting to the plug from the head gasket.

Have you guys heard of this?

thank you

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there's a thread around here somewhere about oil control rings getting gunked up and stuck allowing for bad oil consumption. it was a back cyl, but I don't really. probably 7 though since it seems it's always the driver's side

I think it was @donjetman thread? maybe try that fix?

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently there is no oil feed going through the headgasket..
And I don't think it would leak from the crankcase portion..

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh? Never heard of that. Head gasket seals heads to the block. So combustion gases and it does also seal the coolant passages.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh and catch can.. they seems to be a must. mine I wouldn't even consider using oil being an issue, since i never notice is low or on the plugs. but added a catch can and it has a decent amount in it every oil change.

kinda wild

there's threads around here on those too. the 30$ Amazon ones seem fine.

OP
OP
Reaction score
Hello! Hey, is it possible that the oil that is draining back down to the block in the lower corners could be leaking into the cylinder somehow?

Thanx.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for oil to get into the cylinder thru the head gasket. air could get back thru during compression and firing. unless you have tons of blow by with it running. pull the oil cap and see if it's puffing like a freight train.

I can't think of any way oil can get in and air wouldn't get out. this is most likely oil getting by the rings, or somehow being poured or sucked down the intake port.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
piston rings could be letting oil by, maybe do a compression test

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts