Oil on spark plugs - misfiring p0300

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FAUST

Reaction score
I have been trying to find a resolution to the random misfire code p0300.

When replacing plugs and wires - approx 3-4months ago - I noticed the threads were black, like oil was on them - I just thought of this while I was cleaning my garage and found the old plugs.

I cannot find a DIY process to replace the plug tube gaskets/seals. I am going to replace the valve cover gaskets, but want to do the plug tube seals too.

Any help is appreciated.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
The oil you see on the spark plugs are from the crankcase oil vapor. That's why most folks install an oil catch can on their vehicles.

I suggest you replace the drivers side valve cover with the new design. The original design let's to much oil into the air intake in which it is then burn thru the cylinders.

OP
OP
FAUST

FAUST

Reaction score
The oil you see on the spark plugs are from the crankcase oil vapor. That's why most folks install an oil catch can on their vehicles.

I suggest you replace the drivers side valve cover with the new design. The original design let's to much oil into the air intake in which it is then burn thru the cylinders.
The entire valve cover? Or just the gaskets? I assume to cover as a whole. When you say new design, any aftermarket design or do you have a recommendation of where to get the new design valve cover?

This is helpful.

Also, oil catch? Where can I find this and where can I find a process to install?

Thank you!

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP, what year is your vehicle? I seem to recall the change to the valve cover was made in 2006-2007, so you may already have the updated version.

Edit: probably worthwhile to check your PCV as well.

OP
OP
FAUST

FAUST

Reaction score
The entire valve cover? Or just the gaskets? I assume to cover as a whole. When you say new design, any aftermarket design or do you have a recommendation of where to get the new design valve cover?

This is helpful.

Also, oil catch? Where can I find this and where can I find a process to install?

Thank you!
Never mind - I found the answer to the questions above!

This has been super helpful. Thanks again for the quick response!

Is it possible this has been causing misfires - I see misfiring on cylinders 2 and 7. Occasionally the others but not regularly.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Never mind - I found the answer to the questions above!

This has been super helpful. Thanks again for the quick response!

Is it possible this has been causing misfires - I see misfiring on cylinders 2 and 7. Occasionally the others but not regularly.
Misfires are caused by mostly by bad wires or bad coils. Swap out the coils on cylinders 2 and 7 to the other bank. If the miss fire follows the coils, that is your problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar