2011 Tahoe what to look for

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ddann19

Reaction score
Wanting some advice on what I need to check out on a 2011 Tahoe LTZ before I purchase it. I am looking for advice specific to the 2011 Tahoe LTZ. Don't need general overall used car buying advice. Looking at around 150K miles on it.

What am I going to need to do for maintenance if it has not been done at that 150k miles mark?

When I look at the air ride suspension are there going to be signs or trouble spots to be aware of?

Is there a specific spots I need to really look for seal leaks?

Is one part of these rusting out underneath quicker than another?

Haven't been around a lot of Tahoe's and am not super mechanically inclined, so need to know if what I am looking is pretty typical or a sign of something to stay away from. Hope that makes sense.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wanting some advice on what I need to check out on a 2011 Tahoe LTZ before I purchase it. I am looking for advice specific to the 2011 Tahoe LTZ. Don't need general overall used car buying advice. Looking at around 150K miles on it.

What am I going to need to do for maintenance if it has not been done at that 150k miles mark?

When I look at the air ride suspension are there going to be signs or trouble spots to be aware of?

Is there a specific spots I need to really look for seal leaks?

Is one part of these rusting out underneath quicker than another?

Haven't been around a lot of Tahoe's and am not super mechanically inclined, so need to know if what I am looking is pretty typical or a sign of something to stay away from. Hope that makes sense.
Welcome to the forum from Iowa.

What part of the country do you live? That will have a large bearing on any kind of rust issues.

As for things to look for:

1) If you end you buying it, I would plan on replacing all the fluids: Oil, Transmission, Power Steering, Brake, Differentials, Transfer case if 4WD, Coolant.

2) Air suspension, listen to see if the air compressor runs for just a short, 3-5 secs, after starting the vehicle. If you don’t hear it run at all, the compressor may be dead. If it runs for an extended period of time, you could have a bad compressor or a leaky air bladder on a shock. I’d budget for replacing both parts, shocks and air compressor. That’s about $600-$700. Arnott AS2708’s are good options for the shocks and Arnott has a good compressor. Front struts are possibly needed as well.

3) Many folks disable AFM either through a disabled device, or a tune.

4) The transmission may be at a point that it will need some service. At the minimum pan drop and a new filter.

5) I’d make sure the 3rd row seats are able to be folded and tumbled and removed and then unfolded. They can sometimes have plastic clips that break and won’t let you unfold the seats.

6) I’d plan on getting new plugs and wires.

I’m on my 4th one of these and have had all these issues and still would not want to drive anything else.

OP
OP
ddann19

ddann19

Reaction score

What part of the country do you live? That will have a large bearing on any kind of rust issues.

1) If you end you buying it, I would plan on replacing all the fluids: Oil, Transmission, Power Steering, Brake, Differentials, Transfer case if 4WD, Coolant.

2) Air suspension, listen to see if the air compressor runs for just a short, 3-5 secs, after starting the vehicle. If you don’t hear it run at all, the compressor may be dead. If it runs for an extended period of time, you could have a bad compressor or a leaky air bladder on a shock. I’d budget for replacing both parts, shocks and air compressor. That’s about $600-$700. Arnott AS2708’s are good options for the shocks and Arnott has a good compressor. Front struts are possibly needed as well.

4) The transmission may be at a point that it will need some service. At the minimum pan drop and a new filter.

5) I’d make sure the 3rd row seats are able to be folded and tumbled and removed and then unfolded. They can sometimes have plastic clips that break and won’t let you unfold the seats.

I’m on my 4th one of these and have had all these issues and still would not want to drive anything else.

Hey thanks!!!! That was exactly the kind of information I needed. I am in midwestern Illinois. What kind of pitch or sound should the compressor make...made compared to like the fuel pump? Thanks for the third row seat info...had not heard that yet.

I'd like the Yukon Denali also....but wife says she does not want the 6.2L, with the thought the fuel economy is worse. I am saying there probably isn't much difference, is that a fair statement?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks!!!! That was exactly the kind of information I needed. I am in midwestern Illinois. What kind of pitch or sound should the compressor make...made compared to like the fuel pump? Thanks for the third row seat info...had not heard that yet.

I'd like the Yukon Denali also....but wife says she does not want the 6.2L, with the thought the fuel economy is worse. I am saying there probably isn't much difference, is that a fair statement?

Go for the Denali. My wife loves the 6.2L. In fact, we went to a 5.3 a suburban and my wife made me get another Denali because she hated the 5.3. Not much difference in MPG. It takes a certain amount of energy to move a certain amount of mass down the road. The 6.2L just lets you get to speed faster.

As for the air compressor, it sounds like, well, an air compressor. It is located under the rear drivers side corner and does not sound like a fuel pump unless you fuel pump is in really bad shape.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

you shouldn't hear the fuel pump, the air compressor noise you will hear it is distinct, to hear it just turn the key to run with the drivers door open wait for 1-2 seconds and then it should run for about 3 seconds or so each time time you turn the key to run.
if you like the Denali have her test drive a Denali and a Tahoe there is a seat of the pants difference. mpg is what it is, most of it depends on how far/fast/often you push the right pedal down.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I used to own a 05 5.3 Tahoe that I eventually got rid of after buying a 09 Tahoe with a 6.2. The 5.3 got around 1mpg less in the city and highway. I would seriously consider a 6.2 in the SUV, especially if you are going to tow anything. If you get a 09 and up 6.2, you can run E85 instead of premium

OP
OP
ddann19

ddann19

Reaction score

On the active fuel management, how am I going to know if it has been disabled, or tuned? What are the thoughts on disabling it....I would guess tuning it to specific preferences, depending on what you wanted? Is that the train of thought?

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the active fuel management, how am I going to know if it has been disabled, or tuned? What are the thoughts on disabling it....I would guess tuning it to specific preferences, depending on what you wanted? Is that the train of thought?
There is a plug-in called the Range device that disables AFM - works excellently!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you drive it, there is a “page” on the DIC that shows fuel efficiency and whether the vehicle is in V-8 or V-4 mode. If you see it change to V-4 mode, it is still active.

As @GreyStone mentioned, the Range AFM disabler is very effective.
https://www.amazon.com/Range-Techno...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

OP
OP
ddann19

ddann19

Reaction score
Are we thinking its better to disable the afm? I am not necessarily concerned with performance as I am with longevity and maintenance. This will be wifey daily drive, which is about 12 miles round trip. With some in town but mostly on a US highway at 65 mph. Then in extra circular activities for the kids ball games and what not with 60 miles. We generally put about 20k on a vehicle a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne