2011 Chevy Tahoe. Z-71 4X4.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
The Grey Beast

The Grey Beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep an eye out for second hand ones on eBay.
I’ve been looking but I have a some ideas to throw at you. One I’m not good with car/trucks and what I know is only by trial and error. More error than trial. Two I wonder if having a Range will mess with the computer in the truck or SUV? The port was not ment for long term all the time use. Have you put two and two together and seen issues with your SUV while using range. I know all have said “NO” but I’m concerned. My SUV has 148 mi and change and my mechanic says it idles great. New spark plugs help out. But the truck has not fallen apart and works great. Don’t want to mess this up. A novice with concerns.

Thanks

Ken

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind V4 mode, you might as well leave it alone. I purchased my tahoe with 200k miles and AFM was enabled. However, the lugging in V4 mode bugged me. I only want the range device if they get a carb eo number.

Which ever way you tune it out, should not affect your idle (If you notice the truck always idles in V8 mode) There are many devices that use the OBD port all the time, and I haven't heard of any reason for that to be problematic. (other than a device that drains too much power and you not driving for long periods of time)

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@The Grey Beast I will say this, I used Range for a while, when I removed it so that I could pass smog I started to get strange lifter problems. After that I tuned AFM out and sold my Range.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Range for a while, when I removed it so that I could pass smog I started to get strange lifter problems.
Damnit! That's why I'm afraid to re-enable AFM for smog. Have had it disabled for several months now. I'm thinking once you turn it off, AFM parts won't get fresh lubrication.
I doubt it's the fault of the range device. How long did you have it continuously disabled?

They allow a jasper engine with AFM delete and custom programming to pass smog, now we just need some other option for everyone who has already deleted AFM! ???

Not happy with b.s. regulations.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@mikez71 I probably ran the AFM disabler for a year or so, I agree that it probably doesn't do well being turned off for so long.

I have my AFM deleted and tuned out and my smog shop said it would still pass smog as long as no check engine light and all emission monitors are set. I smoged it right before I did the AFM delete so I haven't had to put it through an actual smog test yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues