2011 Chevy Tahoe. Z-71 4X4.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.. when it comes time to do a smog I just put the hyptertech tune back on with the autocal and give them the carb number for the hypertech and I am good to go, then when the smog is done I put the backbear tune back on until next time. doing that takes about 5 minutes.
Yea, thing is I really want to delete the afm as well, so no going back to stock tune once I do. I'm scared to activate AFM after it's been off for so long...

I do see on the Range website that they are going through the process of carb certification.. so hopefully soon..

Other carb compliant thing I have seen is a Jasper rebuild with AFM delete and their program.. But pretty sure they want you to buy their motor for that..

OP
OP
The Grey Beast

The Grey Beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you Mike. It is Kareem. I was treated well there. Now just have to see if the Tahoe will last.

I will look for you.

It is and I wasn’t the one who cleaned it.

lol.

Later.

Ken

OP
OP
The Grey Beast

The Grey Beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Florida Ken! Get your sunglasses out if you put LEDs inside.

I would inspect the plugs and wires and begin the process of changing ALL the fluids in the truck.

Seat covers can abrade the material they are covering.

Pcitures!
Pics. Thank
You.

Attachments

• IMG_2765.jpeg
    IMG_2765.jpeg
    503.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2766.jpeg
    IMG_2766.jpeg
    436.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2768.jpeg
    IMG_2768.jpeg
    420.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2769.jpeg
    IMG_2769.jpeg
    407.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2770.jpeg
    IMG_2770.jpeg
    212.7 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
The Grey Beast

The Grey Beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Florida Ken! Get your sunglasses out if you put LEDs inside.

I would inspect the plugs and wires and begin the process of changing ALL the fluids in the truck.

Seat covers can abrade the material they are covering.

Pcitures!

Attachments

• IMG_2765.jpeg
    IMG_2765.jpeg
    503.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2766.jpeg
    IMG_2766.jpeg
    436.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2768.jpeg
    IMG_2768.jpeg
    420.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2769.jpeg
    IMG_2769.jpeg
    407.3 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
The Grey Beast

The Grey Beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas! Aloha!

Definitely need some pics of your rig.
As mentioned above, swap out all fluids, and also have a good look at brake lines / fluid, replace as needed, PS fluid, check suspension components for play, or leakage. Have a good look at all belts and hoses. I agree with @swathdiver in the LEDs also. I love them on the exterior, but way too bright as lighting inside the truck. (Cluster and controls excepted). Any CEL present? How are the brakes and tires? What’s the fuel mileage look like? Any smells, or noises you aren’t able to explain? Congrats on the rig. She’ll be a solid ride for you as long as you care well for her.

Attachments

• IMG_2766.jpeg
    IMG_2766.jpeg
    436.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2765.jpeg
    IMG_2765.jpeg
    503.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2769.jpeg
    IMG_2769.jpeg
    407.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2768.jpeg
    IMG_2768.jpeg
    420.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2770.jpeg
    IMG_2770.jpeg
    212.7 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
The Grey Beast

The Grey Beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum.

Someone else may comment on this concerning the 2007-2015 Tahoes. My Tahoe fits in the 2015-2020 date range so I am not sure about the 2007-2014 Tahoes. You probably have a 6L80E transmission: 6 forward gears, installed Longitudinally, 80 series, Electronic control. The transmission code is MYC.

There is a service bulletin on the later 6L80E's to replace the 90 degree Centigrade thermal bypass valve (transmission thermostat) with a 70 degree centigrade thermostat when the transmission pan is dropped for servicing. Heat apparently reduces the operating life of the transmission, primarily the torque converter lockup clutch. When the clutch starts going, it takes out the rest of the transmission. Then it's re-manufacture time or major overhaul time. Been there, done that.

You may have the original transmission, it may have been repaired, or it may have been replaced with a re-manufactured transmission. If your transmission temp maxes out in the 150-170 degree range, you have the 70 degree centigrade thermostat. If it maxes out in the 170+ range, you don't. If your temps are normally in the 150-170 degree range but go up to the 180 plus range when towing, you need an auxiliary cooler.

Putting in the lower temp thermostat should make a real difference in the longevity of your transmission.

Another weak spot in the drive-train is the engine's Active Fuel Management (AFM)/Displacement on Demand (DOD) system. It shuts off four of the eight cylinders under low load conditions. The problem is crudding up of the control system. You can do a search on the Forum for information for your engine and model year range.

Approaches to handling the AFM/DOD situation include changing oil at 3,000 to 5,000 miles with improved oil to full synthetic, disabling the system with an AFM/DOD delete change to your powertrain control computer, and replacing internal engine components with non AFM/DOD components.

Wishing you the best with your Z71.
So I monitored the temperature of the transmission. At night is was 86 degrees to start and maxed out at 136 degrees on a 45 minute ride with 55 degrees outside. At daytime. It maxed out at 186-192. With stop and go. On the road with a 45 minute trip it level offed at 186 degrees. With outside temperatures of 85 degrees. Theses daytime temperatures are consistent. Without seeing and inspecting the transmission. In your opinion Is the transmission old and worn out? What is a normal transmission temp for a 2011 Tahoe?

What do you recommend? What does my 2011 have? Thermostat replacement need or do you recommend auxiliary cooler. What’s the difference between both? What’s the cost of replacement and or putting a new system in place like and auxiliary cooler?

Thank you.

Ken

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
temps are fine. Goes through the radiator so it will tend to get up to ~190.
NO thermostat until next body style according to Doubelieve. Only helpful for cold temps I believe.
Transmission cooler is good. (Looks like you have one? Or is that power steering?) I'm looking for a trans cooler myself.
I have a little over 200k and I think it shifts fine and well. But only had it about 6 months..

OP
OP
The Grey Beast

The Grey Beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did see that normal Transmission temps are 185-200. Well at least the internet thinks so. I have been reading a lot and not just expecting answers from you or anyone else.

Thanks again for your time. It’s not wasted.

Ken

OP
OP
The Grey Beast

The Grey Beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
temps are fine. Goes through the radiator so it will tend to get up to ~190.
NO thermostat until next body style according to Doubelieve. Only helpful for cold temps I believe.
Transmission cooler is good. (Looks like you have one? Or is that power steering?) I'm looking for a trans cooler myself.
I have a little over 200k and I think it shifts fine and well. But only had it about 6 months..
No I don’t have one I looked it’s the radiator in the back and the part to the Ac that looks like an auxiliary cooler. So says the rookie. Could be wrong. But I don’t think I have a cooler.

Attachments

• IMG_2778.jpeg
    IMG_2778.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2777.jpeg
    IMG_2777.jpeg
    280.9 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
The Grey Beast

The Grey Beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I did look on-line and saw other opinions on other forums including this one. Past knowledge tends to agree with your opinion on transmission temps.

Ken

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts