2010 Escalade suspension issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, so you put passive shocks in the rear but kept the Auto/Mag Ride shocks in the front? I can definitely see that causing an issue with the handling characteristics, either delete the Auto/Mag ride completely or keep it completely.
Just what I was thinking after reading through this thread.

OP
OP
A

Awall10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That was my next thought, thanks!
While it’s probably not common to do all 4 corners and only keep front magride, I came across several people who swapped to passive rear and left the front alone with no reported issues. Also came across a few threads where the zw7 rears were recommended as a drop in conversion even with 22s, all over on the Cadillac forum. Not sure if they were ever offered on the Escalade but I know it was an option on suburbans. Honestly I’ve driven/ridden in a couple of suburbans and a few Escalades, with and without 22s, and theres nothing special about magride. I’ve ridden in the third row of mine and I have no complaints about how the rear feels with these shocks. Maybe that’s the source of all my problems but it seems odd that others claim to have this exact setup with no reported issues if that’s the case. I really don’t know why I decided to keep front magride when so many seem to hate it other than it was only slightly more expensive. Maybe I’ll just replace it all again and get new tires. I don’t have any bent wheels so if it were shocks/struts/tires that would surely take care of it...and the saga continues...

OP
OP
A

Awall10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also I’m fairly new to this forum and a couple others, this truck has a few issues which are really driving me even crazier than my 535 used to. Thanks all for the time and replies so far, I really appreciate it.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem is that most people really don’t know what they’re talking about and think they know better than the engineers. I’m not saying that’s you but you have to be careful with information you find online which usually comes from cousin Sally’s third husband’s best friend’s mother-in-law who knew a guy who worked in detail at a dealership 30 years ago but know every in and out of the business.

The Auto/Mag Ride does have better ride quality and control than the trucks without. It isn’t a massive difference but the “premium ride” trucks definitely wallow more and don’t feel nearly as solid. But for this to be the case everything has to be in order because any worn out parts will make it not feel like it should. Once thing I will say is that I do believe you are supposed to change the rear springs if you are deleting the air suspension.

I’d still bet most of your issue is something with the tires which may or may not be fixable. I would call around to your local GM dealers and ask if they have a technician experienced in correcting roadforce issues and have them check out your tires. The Toyos aren’t horrible tires but sometimes a particular tire just doesn’t work well on a particular vehicle. Michelin Defender LTX is the best choice in my experience.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I do believe you are supposed to change the rear springs if you are deleting the air suspension.

Adam, did you keep the stock rear springs too?

My truck has the stock dumb suspension, ZW7, the rear springs are 25783733/45H2164 and shocks are 25871227/540-435.

And back to the Tech-2, the front shocks still need to be calibrated/programmed if you want to keep them running correctly.

OP
OP
A

Awall10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Adam, did you keep the stock rear springs too?

My truck has the stock dumb suspension, ZW7, the rear springs are 25783733/45H2164 and shocks are 25871227/540-435.

And back to the Tech-2, the front shocks still need to be calibrated/programmed if you want to keep them running correctly.
Kept the same rear springs. I figured I could change them later if there was a problem since the air suspension doesn’t actively hold the truck up without a load like the old nivomats do. That was my understanding at least.

540-435 are what I used, not sure what springs are on mine currently.

Looking into getting a tech2 on eBay. I plan to keep this truck for a while so I might as well buy one either way.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kept the same rear springs. I figured I could change them later if there was a problem since the air suspension doesn’t actively hold the truck up without a load like the old nivomats do. That was my understanding at least.

540-435 are what I used, not sure what springs are on mine currently.

Looking into getting a tech2 on eBay. I plan to keep this truck for a while so I might as well buy one either way.
Actually it does. Every time you start the truck the compressor kicks on and adds air to the bladders. The springs are softer than the non- auto leveling system. If you change to standard shocks you should change springs.

tjfish

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2010 ESV 2wd with magneride and 22 inch wheels, 200k miles. Ive replaced all four struts/shocks, a hub, upper control arm, lower balljoint, swaybar endlinks, inner and outer tierods, then an alignment. Everything was replaced with correct oem or moog parts. I am still experiencing a rough ride on the highway mainly. Over larger bumps/speedbumps and through dips its perfect, but for some reason it makes seemingly smooth roads feel like washboards. I originally thought it was the front left strut that was bad agin after a few thousand miles so I replaced it again and there was zero change. The tires are all relatively new and recently balanced. I unpluged the front shocks and the whole front end got very soft and wallowy like its supposed to but still feels very rough on smooth roads. The feeling changes with different road surfaces but is more noticeable the smoother the road is. I tried putting the spare on it to see if a softer sidewall might help and even let some air out of the tires to see if that changed anything but it seems exactly the same. The only think I can find with any play in it that may be worn out is the coupling shaft that goes into the top of the steering rack but I cant see that causing this. Its not really noticeable under 40 but is most pronounced between 65-75, havent been much faster since everything was replaced. If anyone has any thoughts or has had a similar experience after replacing the entire front end please let me know. Is it possibly driveline related? It definitely feels like its in the front end. I know these trucks dont ride the best with 22 inch wheels but there is definitely something wrong this isnt just a product of large wheels, it didnt ride like this in the past.

I know this sounds illogical but it might be worth checking with the dealer. My 2016 Denali had a shuffleboard ride on the freeways. This problem stayed with the vehicle until about 7 months ago when my dealer called and said there was a recall that might apply to my vehicle ride. They changed the torque converter oil and the problem is now gone. Go figure? Anyway, maybe worth a try.

OP
OP
A

Awall10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know this sounds illogical but it might be worth checking with the dealer. My 2016 Denali had a shuffleboard ride on the freeways. This problem stayed with the vehicle until about 7 months ago when my dealer called and said there was a recall that might apply to my vehicle ride. They changed the torque converter oil and the problem is now gone. Go figure? Anyway, maybe worth a try.
I believe I’ve read about a tsb or recall or something on newer trucks regarding a torque converter shudder of some sort in my searches, could have even been a post from you if you posted about it. I was hoping to avoid having it worked on but I likely wouldn’t be able to diagnose something like that. Could be a driveshaft/ujoint issue or even a motor/trans mount but I haven’t gotten around to looking at any of that yet.

Was your shuffleboard ride load or rpm dependent? Not sure if you ever tried but if I put my truck in neutral on the highway and let it drop to idle or rev the engine there’s no change. Could still be a driveline issue but that would rule out a torque converter to me. I had bad carrier bearing on a previous car that felt very similar to this but it only happened while accelerating.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The TC shudder is an issue with the 15-20 models, not the 07-14’s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71

Latest posts