2008 Denali Gains Intake & Custom Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Javi

Javi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Interesting.

What gear did you use? 4th or 5th? They're 1.15 and .85 respectively...

All runs where made in 3rd, 4th is too long.

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

Interesting......The peak numbers are impressive for the minimal modifications.

Do you keep track of your average fuel mileage? I'll be interested to see how this affects daily driving and fuel economy. Below 4000rpm it looks like the gains are <20hp/20lb-ft....

Although definite peak improvements can be achieved, it drives me nuts to hear how people think they can get ~15% better fuel mileage just from a CAI and catback exhaust. That's just not realistic....

The thing is that our trucks (at least the 6.2L) run extremely rich (my truck was running 9.8 mixture OEM stock) so when doing the intake mod much more air gets in, hence more efficient. My MPG's improved almost 1.5 mpg city

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

Nice, How did it affect your MPGs? What makes that intake better than others?

I can't speak for other intakes. I wanted to share with others my experience because, when I did my research, no before and after dynos where done, and even Vararam did not answer my emails.

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

Didnt expect such gains from the intake. How do you clean the filter, and how sturdy are the tubes that connect

The cleaning is fairly simple, remove the frontal piece, three screws where the filter is and use the cleaning kit (green stuff) the intake has more than 40k and it still as good as new. A well made piece.

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

I'm a bit skeptical of the gains detailed just from the intake mod :think:

I don't have anything to do with vararam. I don't get anything by posting outrageous numbers, I don't sell anything related to GMC or GM. This are my results. However, like I said, the 6.2 comes very rich OEM, and the intake increases air intake, so you can expect gains from this circumstances.
There were no before and after dyno's so went ahead and did them, with the happy results. If there is someone who is considering a intake, this is what I gained with this particular intake. I am sure that someone could get more gains than me, because each engine is different than the other.

bmwme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The K&N looks nice but I don't trust the filters since I've heard of some allowing very fine particles pass.

The VARARAM tri-power looks like it was designed on purpose and if these numbes are right pretty impressive. Does it take up a lot of space in the engine bay?

How do these compare to the Volant 15253?

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All runs where made in 3rd, 4th is too long.

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

The thing is that our trucks (at least the 6.2L) run extremely rich (my truck was running 9.8 mixture OEM stock) so when doing the intake mod much more air gets in, hence more efficient. My MPG's improved almost 1.5 mpg city

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

I am not familiar with the 6-speed. So is 3rd gear a 1.0 ratio?

Also at an air/fuel ratio of 9.8 that is really low and I am surprised it came like that from the factory. I wonder if your engine tune is an anomoly. No air/fuel ratio on the dyno chart? Just curious what they looked like.

Oh yeah, what are your butt dyno impressions?

Thanks again for getting your truck on the dyno :).

OP
OP
Javi

Javi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am not familiar with the 6-speed. So is 3rd gear a 1.0 ratio?

Also at an air/fuel ratio of 9.8 that is really low and I am surprised it came like that from the factory. I wonder if your engine tune is an anomoly. No air/fuel ratio on the dyno chart? Just curious what they looked like.

Oh yeah, what are your butt dyno impressions?

Thanks again for getting your truck on the dyno :).

This is what I found online about the 2008 Denali:

First Gear Ratio :)1) 4.03
Second Gear Ratio :)1) 2.36
Third Gear Ratio :)1) 1.53
Fourth Gear Ratio :)1) 1.15
Fifth Gear Ratio :)1) 0.85
Sixth Gear Ratio :)1) 0.67

The mixture so rich is how they come from the factory, why? I really don't know, but I do know that they all come like that.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... those gear ratios are not dyno friendly. That is, the ideal ratio is 1:1. So your numbers make a little more sense. The power loss from the crank to the wheels was lower than expected for AWD dyno. But in the end the relative increase in power from each mod should be the ultimate focus. Good gains.

Tonygxp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am waiting for a call back from my guy but i don't think mine was that rich from the factory. my guy uses this dyno.
dyno002.jpg
my truck was 308awhp/315awtq and only went to 315/327 post tune (both same day hour apart) thre tuned runs all simliar that was the middle run, first was higher, last lower. runs were made in 3rd as well, a 4th gear run showed no difference stock but the run was waaaay too long for our taste.

the biggest difference from stock to the tune was the trans tune. that alone is worth a good .2-.3 in a 1/4mi imo, racing cars/trucks for almost 20 years.

congrats to the op on the gains.. btw my engine is an AFM engine, not sure if any cam profile changes were made? and if you didn't know the AWD mustang load bearing dyno ramps up resistance to mimic aerodynamic drag and the actual weight of the vehicle so it is far more accurate than a dynojet. it will always show lower figures and higher gains when compared to a mustang dyno.

Last edited:

matt_TuneTime

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Given the High ambient temps your Cat Over Temp was giving you the 9.8 a/f [ normal it's to protect the stock cats ] So your overall gains would be alot less with the COT off ... OEM A/F is 11.8-12.2 ... That being said the Vararam is a nice piece and combine with a tune I'm sure it feels nice and strong ...

topsecret

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I apologize I know is an old thread and I'm new to the forum I have a 07 escalade with the 6.2 was wondering if this ram set up would fit meaning I go on their site and it only states for escalade with 6.0 liter if anyone can help I will gladly appreciate Thanks

John B

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Stock: 295.39 awhp 330.25 awtq
Intake: 318.81 awhp 348.43 awtq
So this was a 23 AWHP & 18 AWTQ gain WITHOUT tuning? Incredible!!!!

Why are earth is one of the Sponsors (Black Bear Performance) badmouthing this set-up from emann_01's write up about this set-up and I quote:
Wouldn't bother with ram air.

Sent from a jelly bean.