Opinions on JBA headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been searching here and it seems the Speed Engineering have quality and fitment issues

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I would like to see dyno numbers on their long tubes

Trc54

Reaction score
I'm going with Texas speed longtubes in the near future. My buddy has had a set on his truck for along time with no issues and you can't beat the price.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I ran across these headers while researching and they seem promising to me but wondered if anyone on here has ever tried them or what the general consensus is on them.

They make both long tube and shorty headers.

I know before anyone posts that the general thought is long tubes or don't bother.

However after looking at there short headers they seem to produce decent numbers according to an independent dyno.

These are the ones I was looking at...
http://jbaheaders.com/detail_shortyV.asp?id=1850S-2JT

They offer them in raw stainless or silver ceramic or titanium ceramic.

I would opt for one of the 2 ceramic coatings.

They call these Cat4ward headers and they mount up to the stock cats and Y-pipe which is convenient. My thoughts on long tubes are that they may produce more power in the higher RPM range but I have a long body that is daily driven. It is certainly not a race car so it rarely sees high RPM.

Also I am concerned with the ground clearance of long tubes and 4/6 drop.

Plus the added cost of a different Y-pipe with long tubes.

I found this article from an independent website that installed the JBA shortys on a 2008 5.3L pickup...
https://www.offroadxtreme.com/engin...ust-system-give-this-5-3l-v8-a-power-upgrade/

They dynoed it before and after the install of the shorty headers and aftermarket muffler and the results were pretty impressive I thought.

"When we ran the 2008 5.3-liter V8 Chevy Extra Cab pickup on the dyno before the installation, it recorded a peak hp rating of 246.1 at 5,370 rpm and peak torque of 250.1 at 5,100 rpm.

The after-installation run on the dyno showed 260.9 peak hp at 5,380 rpm and peak torque output of 277.7 at 4,690 rpm. That is a gain of 14.7 peak hp and 27.6 lb-ft of peak torque. However, as with any truck application, we’re more interested in gains in the low- and mid-range. The dyno chart below reveals healthy gains in these areas as high as 45 lb-ft of torque at the critical 2,500 rpm point. A power gain such as this down low will substantially help the truck’s acceleration and improve performance during normal driving conditions."

As with anything the peak numbers are one thing but the power curve and where you pickup gains is also very important.
View attachment 209321

They don't mention any tuning so I wonder what kind of gains might be had above their numbers with a proper tune.

Any way... let the discussion begin.

Every dyno is different and I'm a bit skeptical of those figures. However, they're better than nothing. For the price, at least they're ceramic coated and appear that some actual fluid dynamics engineering was applied to their design. Looking at a cost-per-hp aspect, longtubes with Y-pipe can be had for less while yielding about twice as much power gains. But, they won't be coated and you may have fitment and/or clearance issues in your case. I guess what it comes down to is that, while better than stock, is that (questionable?) ~13 HP still worth the expense to you?

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Every dyno is different and I'm a bit skeptical of those figures. However, they're better than nothing. For the price, at least they're ceramic coated and appear that some actual fluid dynamics engineering was applied to their design. Looking at a cost-per-hp aspect, longtubes with Y-pipe can be had for less while yielding about twice as much power gains. But, they won't be coated and you may have fitment and/or clearance issues in your case. I guess what it comes down to is that, while better than stock, is that (questionable?) ~13 HP still worth the expense to you?

I realize every dyno is different which is why I like that this was done before and after on the same dyno.

You could, in theory, Do a dyno run at one location in town and then drive to the opposite side of town where there is a different dyno and either gain or lose power due to calibration differences.

As far as the peak HP gain of 14.7.... I could really care less. This is a suburban, I am not trying to break any land speed records with it.

What I do find very appealing is the torque numbers. It's not even the peak TQ numbers that get me excited, although 27.6 ft lbs isn't bad.

I look at the dyno chart and see the power coming in earlier which is better for street driving.

Even the peak torque number came down in the RPM range.

Peak TQ was achieved at 5100 RPM stock
Peak TQ was achieved at 4690 RPM with these shortys.

That's 410 RPM lower if your keeping score.

Again that isn't the big thing for me..

For me it's the 45 ft lbs gained at 2500 RPM which is where most of my acceleration takes place.

I know that long tubes would probably gain more power on the big end but I am not looking to squeeze every last bit of power out of a tank with 220k miles on the clock. Just curious if anyone else thought these headers looked promising or had ever seen them before since I have never seen them mentioned around here.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I keep reading about clearance issues with longtubes and the y-pipe replacement. Why is that?

Clearance issues from the O2 sensors in the long tubes hitting the firewall/floorboard and/or front driveshaft clearance issues if your 4x4.

Also, in my case, my Burb is sitting on a 4/6 drop so there is the distinct possibility of dragging the header collectors over bumps and such.

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on the fence now. I've been watching some youtube vids on basic setups with longtubes and highflow mufflers and it might be too loud for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doc52