2007 Yukon Denali...no compression cyl #8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMperformance03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think I bought a lemon. I bought a 2007 Denali XL 6.2 and at the end of November 2018 and replaced both wheel hub assemblies, outer tie rod, & brakes and rotors.

After taking a break from front end repairs (still need to change both lower ball joints) It started misfiring and running really rough. The local dealership diagnosed no compression on cylinder #8 and recommended replacement at a cost of $8,500.00

The Yukon has 221k miles on it and is in average condition (interior) and below average condition (minor rust exterior). Having a hard time figuring out what to do:

1) Buy new ($8,500.00) probably not going to do that.

2) Install used motor (got quote for $3,900.00 installed).

3) cut my losses and try to sell as is.

Any advice would be appreciated. I really like the vehicle just not sure if it’s worth dumping money in at this point.

Thanks

PS - are there any decent GM shops or independent shops in the central Indiana area that can rebuild or have experience with the 6.2 liter engines or any recommendations?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you done your own compression check? If so I’d move on. Mostly due to the miles and rust. If the trans is a question there’s another 4-5k. If you’re keeping it I’d find a good shop and decide between the reman or rebuild. Not sure what you paid but there are plenty of gmt900 in the south cheap.

OP
OP
G

GMperformance03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, I paid $6,950 for it. Transmission seems to be okay, but service stabilitrack and suspension system lights have intermittently came on as well since I’ve owned it. I am somewhat mechanically inclined but don’t really have the time or space to do motor swap right now.

What could I expect to get out of it in its current condition? I really have no idea.

I appreciate the advice.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it runs (however rough) and is driveable then you can probably find someone that does their own work that would pay 2 to 3k for it. People are naturally optimistic and most shade tree mechanics are looking for that type of vehicle to see if they can do a quick fix and turn a profit. They might fix the collapsed lifter in an afternoon and sale it the next day for 5k.....

Last edited:

Wolfbraid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks really nice. Well the dealership of course will be way too high priced, check out Jasper Engines, they usually partner or have local shops in the area, engines carry a good warranty

OP
OP
G

GMperformance03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. I thought it would be a good vehicle for my wife and daughter and unfortunately it hasn’t worked out that way. The dealership offered me $1,000 for it but I just can’t go that low. I’m still stuck on weather to try and sell or fix & keep.

OP
OP
G

GMperformance03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought it from a private party. It was my fault for trusting the guy, he even said it was meticulously maintained using his special fully synthetic racing oil. I guess that should have been a red flag right there.

I probably will try to keep it and figure something out with the motor. I’m just at a point in my life without a lot of disposable income (finishing up student loans, recently bought house, younger kids ect;). That’s why I bought a 7k Denali not a 70k Denali, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bearfacemoon2212