2007 Yukon Denali...no compression cyl #8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think I bought a lemon. I bought a 2007 Denali XL 6.2 and at the end of November 2018 and replaced both wheel hub assemblies, outer tie rod, & brakes and rotors.

After taking a break from front end repairs (still need to change both lower ball joints) It started misfiring and running really rough. The local dealership diagnosed no compression on cylinder #8 and recommended replacement at a cost of $8,500.00

The Yukon has 221k miles on it and is in average condition (interior) and below average condition (minor rust exterior). Having a hard time figuring out what to do:

1) Buy new ($8,500.00) probably not going to do that.

2) Install used motor (got quote for $3,900.00 installed).

3) cut my losses and try to sell as is.

Any advice would be appreciated. I really like the vehicle just not sure if it’s worth dumping money in at this point.

Thanks

PS - are there any decent GM shops or independent shops in the central Indiana area that can rebuild or have experience with the 6.2 liter engines or any recommendations?

With so little money into it, you can fix it up at your leisure. However, the rust is a cancer and you'll have to decide if she's worth it or not.

Fixing just the problem is the least expensive way to go, pop the passenger side head and fix whatever's broke and put it back together and soldier on. Least expensive way to go.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stabilitrac and traction control lights are a symptom of another problem—maybe related to your engine problem.
Did they say what they thought the problem was causing no compression on #8?
If you’re moderately handy and it’s valves or lifters, you can change that and send it down the road or keep it—your choice—without taking a bath on it.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think I bought a lemon. I bought a 2007 Denali XL 6.2 and at the end of November 2018 and replaced both wheel hub assemblies, outer tie rod, & brakes and rotors.

After taking a break from front end repairs (still need to change both lower ball joints) It started misfiring and running really rough. The local dealership diagnosed no compression on cylinder #8 and recommended replacement at a cost of $8,500.00

The Yukon has 221k miles on it and is in average condition (interior) and below average condition (minor rust exterior). Having a hard time figuring out what to do:

1) Buy new ($8,500.00) probably not going to do that.

2) Install used motor (got quote for $3,900.00 installed).

3) cut my losses and try to sell as is.

Any advice would be appreciated. I really like the vehicle just not sure if it’s worth dumping money in at this point.

Thanks

PS - are there any decent GM shops or independent shops in the central Indiana area that can rebuild or have experience with the 6.2 liter engines or any recommendations?

pull the fuel injector power so you don't burn up the catalytic converter as well
and run it as a v7 banger

if you plan to move it
\
it only takes a mile or two to burn it out my experience in another car

Last edited:

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Just my opinion, And i am a mech with optimism. I look at the pic and say "i can fix that" but at 59 im wise enough to know that it is a huge amount of work, alot of potential collateral parts and fluids with an unknown finished product "ie service stabiltrak". 221k is alot of miles and with two kids and life keeping you busy i say cut your losses, $7k is a tough hit but you can recover, detail it and list it for $3,350 with the miss disclosed and move on. Buy your wife another car.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Id grab the cheapest junkyard motor I could find, go over the whole thing and slap it in.

Yeah or find a junkyard that will install their junkyard motor for you.

1yesfan

Reaction score
The motor is the sucky part of it, needing replaced. The "fringe" repairs like the hubs is normal maint I think with those miles. Mine went out on my 01 Silverado at about 175k. The truck really nice, maybe a jasper motor is worth putting in?

1yesfan

Reaction score
I would not let a GM shop/dealer touch it. Find a independent shop that has been around for awhile that is known for good work. Stay away from any of the dealers or "chain" repair shops, they can lose any costs if they F up in the numbers they do across the chain. I one off shop with a good rep has more on the line if they mess up and you give them the shit over it. If the Jasper motor has issues anywhere, if there is a jasper shop around I do believe they will work on it, warranty honored there.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know about your particular motor but the jasper for my ly6 (when I thought the motor was crapped out) was 4k, plus 2500 for install. Not horrible for a quality rebuild.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne