2007 Yukon Denali (155k/8600$ ) vs Tahoe LTZ (174k/7000$)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Help me decide please!

Local dealer has 2007 Tahoe and Yukon for sale.
Yukon is 6.2 with 155k miles listed for 8600$, the only caveat is Yukon has some rust showing up on the door and side panels. Interior looks absolutely mint.

( I would sand, coat and paint the small areas )

Tahoe is 5.3 with 174k miles listed for 7000$. It has no visible rust ( could be as well painted/hidden ) but the interior looks in a little worse shape than Yukon, few scratches and holes on leather seats.

Which one would you personally take/recommend?
Would be doing major maintenance and cleanup on both right after purchase ( oil, trans oil, rust-proofing, fixing paint and so on )

Pic of Yukon rust showing up:
08052022122828_78758.jpg

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Help me decide please!

Local dealer has 2007 Tahoe and Yukon for sale.
Yukon is 6.2 with 155k miles listed for 8600$, the only caveat is Yukon has some rust showing up on the door and side panels. Interior looks absolutely mint.

( I would sand, coat and paint the small areas )

Tahoe is 5.3 with 174k miles listed for 7000$. It has no visible rust ( could be as well painted/hidden ) but the interior looks in a little worse shape than Yukon, few scratches and holes on leather seats.

Which one would you personally take/recommend?
Would be doing major maintenance and cleanup on both right after purchase ( oil, trans oil, rust-proofing, fixing paint and so on )

Pic of Yukon rust showing up:
View attachment 377722
What part of the country are you located in? How is the rust on the frames and suspension components of each of them? Rust is usually a rule out for me.

OP
OP
M

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What part of the country are you located in? How is the rust on the frames and suspension components of each of them? Rust is usually a rule out for me.
Canada, close to Detroit border, i'm in "least snowy" part, right on the Lake ( "Banana belt of Canada" ).
So i won't be driving in ton of snow and most likely will be garage kept.

Underneath and suspesnion looked fine, no issues there.

Checked both trucks today and Yukon looks to be in much better shape internally, it's mint, all clean.
The only thing was rust, paint peeling on hood and backup camera not working.
Dealer will be dealing be taking the truck to body shop to get rust and paint issues solved if i wanted to buy the truck.

Camera will be something i'll have to deal with myself and i would probably replace whole screen with something newer and wire up a new camera.

That sound of 6.2, smoothness and softness of the car has probably sold me, will be thinking over the weekend and going back to dealer.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Canada, close to Detroit border, i'm in "least snowy" part, right on the Lake ( "Banana belt of Canada" ).
So i won't be driving in ton of snow and most likely will be garage kept.

Underneath and suspesnion looked fine, no issues there.

Checked both trucks today and Yukon looks to be in much better shape internally, it's mint, all clean.
The only thing was rust, paint peeling on hood and backup camera not working.
Dealer will be dealing be taking the truck to body shop to get rust and paint issues solved if i wanted to buy the truck.

Camera will be something i'll have to deal with myself and i would probably replace whole screen with something newer and wire up a new camera.

That sound of 6.2, smoothness and softness of the car has probably sold me, will be thinking over the weekend and going back to dealer.
If they'll fix the paint and rust, that's remarkable. I think you'll love the 6.2. I used to have a Suburban with the 5.3 and it was adequate, but the 6.2 on our Yukons is a beast. I think you'll love it. Plus, the Yukon is named after a Canadian province ;-)

OP
OP
M

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they'll fix the paint and rust, that's remarkable. I think you'll love the 6.2. I used to have a Suburban with the 5.3 and it was adequate, but the 6.2 on our Yukons is a beast. I think you'll love it. Plus, the Yukon is named after a Canadian province ;-)
So you are saying "buy it, what's there to think about" :gr_grin:
The mileage doesn't really throw me off as i've been looking into the engine as being marked as "one of the most reliable gas engines" and "easiest to work on" due to everything being relatively accessible and lots of room under the hood. ( I've done most engine/car work myself on 09 F-150, never Ford again, ever, like, ever. )

diesel_dave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just recently bought a 2007 Yukon Denali XL with 224k miles for $5,900. It has about 10% of the rust that the black one up above has and it's only in the rear. Just as a data point for you.

I've never driven a 5.3, but I have got to say the 6.2 in my Yukon has really surprised me. For almost a quarter million miles, the engine pulls like a beast (and sounds great) and as best as I can tell, has nothing wrong with it at all besides an oil leak that drops about quarter teaspoon of oil on the driveway after you park. Still haven't decided if I wanna spend $1k to fix that.

If the rust doesn't bother you very much, I'd go with the Yukon. The 6.2 is a great engine if you take care of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Purolator