2007-2014 Tahoe Picture Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Trilla_one

Trilla_one

Reaction score
Thank ya! Sometimes, I want a little more out of it. But that extra 1/2" or so will take a lot of work in the front. The rear will likely come down another 1/2" or so.
What are the specs now? Hardware? Ride quality? I've been considering lowering lately but would need to upgrade to at least 24s to complete the look. Starts adding up $$$, so may just get a leveling kit to hold me over til then

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the specs now? Hardware? Ride quality? I've been considering lowering lately but would need to upgrade to at least 24s to complete the look. Starts adding up $$$, so may just get a leveling kit to hold me over til then

Front: McGaughy spindles (1.75" drop) and Belltech struts set at maximum drop but with one 1/8" ring (1/4" lift) on the driver side to fix the Chevy Lean. It averages out to a 3.5" drop. Original, 220K-mile coils.

Rear: Rear coils from a Jeep TJ (4.5" drop) and Bilstein 4600 series shocks from a Jeep XJ (rear, I think). DJM lower arm relocators, DJM sway bar relocator (offset end links).

Ride quality is very subjective. I summarize mine as "fine". Mine's an LTZ and had AutoRide. I bought it at 146K miles and the struts were what I believe to be too firm for how an LTZ should ride. The suspension computer had them firmed up too much. I have no idea how new ones would feel so I can't compare.

The Belltech struts are nice on slower bumps/dips, like normal road elevation changes when cruising on the highway. On really sharp bumps, like a blow-up crack in the road hit at speed, they're too stiff. I think they're just valved to be a decent all-around shock but lean more toward sporty handling. That's why I say, for my purposes, they're fine. If most of your driving is on rougher roads, you'd probably get tired of the sharp jarring pretty quickly. Couple that with lower-profile tires required by 24" wheels, and it'd ride like a wagon.

The rear rides pretty nice. The coils are a touch on the soft side and the shocks seem to be borderline "sufficient". It's not "undersupported", though. For normal, everyday cruising comfort duties, this is ideal. I have helper bags for the extremely rare times I'm towing. Also, as of a couple weeks ago, have really heavy-duty sway bars front and rear so the softer coils and shocks don't pose a problem with lateral control.

I'd like to get the front riding as nicely as the rear. Some Bilstein 4600 series struts might be the answer. But I have other experiments I'd like to conduct first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts