2006 Tahoe-White smoke on start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
20191017_161800.jpg
This was just going to work and back. More than yesterday. But this one was 2 cold starts but onlt 26 miles bouth ways. Cant wait to see how it will do with the new redesigned valve cover. I was thinking that just buying new original cover would work because it worked for 200000 miles. I tried cleaning it but could not get under that sheet metal channel. I was told by mechanic today that they use to make them so you could pull that off and clean it. But i don't want to take it off just to find out that i can't do it . Will get the new cover next week. Will keep you posting.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
20191019_134327.jpg

New cover is here. The old one is clean cuz i cleaned it , but couldn't get it in the channel.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Did you buy just the one valve cover because I looked at Amazon and it showed an OEM cover for $107 or a Dorman cover for $73. Why did it cost you $140?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 232855

This is 32 miles of driving and i think that this is just the residue from the house. I think my problem has been solved with the $140 part from Amazon. Thanks for all your input.

That’s a big improvement. Were you able to get the oil out of your intake manifold? How’s the puffs of white smoke doing?

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
Did you buy just the one valve cover because I looked at Amazon and it showed an OEM cover for $107 or a Dorman cover for $73. Why did it cost you $140?
I i think is said that the cheaper one said it does not fit my 06 tahoe. And i clicked on the button that woud find the one for mine truck and that one came. Yes it's dorman branf

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
That’s a big improvement. Were you able to get the oil out of your intake manifold? How’s the puffs of white smoke doing?

I did get the oil out Saturday, it was good until Tuesday when the smoke came back. Since then i have installed the oil catch cans and smoke went away. Today I installed the new cover and the catch can catch very little, maybe just the residue from the hose. I think that is the fix. Will let you guys know in few days if the can still getting oil or not and smokes or not.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I i think is said that the cheaper one said it does not fit my 06 tahoe. And i clicked on the button that woud find the one for mine truck and that one came. Yes it's dorman branf

Yea, I see it now. I typed in for generic 5.3 valve cover and came up with what I had said in my previous post but if you get specific and put the year in the search the $140 Dorman valve cover comes up.

Turns out that if I look up the GM number for that valve cover it comes up with 12570427 and when I type that in to Amazon it comes up with the OEM design GM valve cover for $107 and the pic shows that little square at the end of the baffle like the Dorman one does. Strange but true. Plus the one at GM Parts.com is around $97. Something just isn't right except that you have it and it is on and appears to be working.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T
Reaction score
Yea, I see it now. I typed in for generic 5.3 valve cover and came up with what I had said in my previous post but if you get specific and put the year in the search the $140 Dorman valve cover comes up.

Turns out that if I look up the GM number for that valve cover it comes up with 12570427 and when I type that in to Amazon it comes up with the OEM design GM valve cover for $107 and the pic shows that little square at the end of the baffle like the Dorman one does. Strange but true. Plus the one at GM Parts.com is around $97. Something just isn't right except that you have it and it is on and appears to be working.
20191019_191610.jpg

It appears to be working. And this is why it didn't work just cleaning the old one. I think i sprayed 20 cans of advance auto carb cleaner bottles in there and there still was stuff there to clog the litter drain hole right under the nipple for the hose. Just wish I could get the $408 back that i paid for the false diagnosis from the mechanic shop that i trusted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lighterknot