2006 Tahoe-White smoke on start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boatguy272

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marvel mystery oil also, but again only 1 qt in 3000 miles or more isnt crazy.

What does the spark plug look like from the suspect cyl?

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
I was also waching videos that said the driver side valve cover is the problem. The intake for the pcv . Tge new cover was desined with intake hole moved far4back and from round to square. When i took off the cover everything there was cover in brown burnt oil. I did clean the cover realy well it looked like new, but that did not changed the smoke.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
What do you guys think about this. If the oil is getting in the cylinder on start up that would mean that when car is shot off the cylinder should stay dry untill start up at which point oil gets past the rings untill it gets hit and seals again. So I just got a borescope from amazon. So if i look inside they should be dry, if its wet it would mean it comes from head gasket or from top valve guides or cracked head.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about this. If the oil is getting in the cylinder on start up that would mean that when car is shot off the cylinder should stay dry untill start up at which point oil gets past the rings untill it gets hit and seals again. So I just got a borescope from amazon. So if i look inside they should be dry, if its wet it would mean it comes from head gasket or from top valve guides or cracked head.

Since you said you’re smelling oil in your exhaust, that all but rules out a coolant leak somewhere.

You might be getting oil into your intake manifold and when the vehicle sits, it pools up and at start up some gets sucked into your cylinders with the air.

Might look into getting a new design valve cover and maybe a catch can to see if that takes care of your smoke issue.

Would be interested in hearing what others have to say as I could be completely off base.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Since you said you’re smelling oil in your exhaust, that all but rules out a coolant leak somewhere.

You might be getting oil into your intake manifold and when the vehicle sits, it pools up and at start up some gets sucked into your cylinders with the air.

Might look into getting a new design valve cover and maybe a catch can to see if that takes care of your smoke issue.

Would be interested in hearing what others have to say as I could be completely off base.

Sounds pretty damn close to me. The other thing may still well be oil on cylinder from guides or even that problem with the oil ring on piston. I really want to see how all this plays out.

No matter what, the valve cover is needed if has old design.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
What about the oil in intake problems with the ls engine. I got the borescope today and looked down my intake and there is a pool of oil in there. What do you guys think about cleaning out the intake and installing oil catch cans. Cuz I'm thinking that the car is only 95% of times it only smokes at my jobs parking lot after work. I am having a hard time repeating it at home.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Catch cans are always recommended on LS engines. It's usually the Gen4s that have more of an issue, but older Gen3s will pass plenty of oil through the PCV system, too. Definitely worth a shot!

I like to use a dryer duct brush or baby bottle cleaner brush and plenty of engine degreaser and brake parts cleaner, followed by a good blowing out with the air compressor to thoroughly clean and dry the intake manifold. While you have it off, it'd be a good time to clean the gunk out from the knock sensor wells and add RTV to the seals. If the sensors look questionable, it's worth the investment to replace them. Use AC Delco or Delphi sensors only. It's also a convenient time to replace the oil pressure sensor since it's a real PITA to access with the manifold in place.

Have you ever considered having an oil sample analyzed?

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
I have a new symptom. Last night when I started the truck white smoke came out but when i gave it gas the smoke changed in to dark gray or black smoke, definitely dark in color,. Any ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645