Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@TollKeeper
Sprayed around intake ports and vacuum lines that I could see(could only see a couple) nothing happened to the idle. I forgot to do the throttle body gasket but Im going to replace while the body is off anyways. The hiss is definitely coming from the drivers side.

@mattbta Will def look into that, thanks!

@Fless Def a really good idea lol.

Here is a video of the idle without belt on
Some of the noise is also the muffler delete, which I'm going to be putting a muffler on soon.

Here is a picture of the throttle body. Will definitely be cleaning this very well, its nasty.

If none of this stuff helps I'm going to try regapping the plugs.
View attachment 389096

They should've come already gapped properly. Are they iridum or platinum? You have to be VERY careful when measuring and adjusting the gap. That tiny electrode tip can be easily be broken off. You also have to be sure you have genuine plugs. The half-priced ones on Amazon and eBay are pretty much guaranteed to be low-quality counterfeits. Best case is they work fine but wear out really quickly. Worst case is they fall apart inside the combustion chamber and destroy your engine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They should've come already gapped properly. Are they iriium or platinum? You have to be VERY careful when measuring and adjusting the gap. That tiny electrode tip can be easily be broken off. You also have to be sure you have genuine plugs. The half-priced ones on Amazon and eBay are pretty much guaranteed to be low-quality counterfeits. Best case is they work fine but wear out really quickly. Worst case is they fall apart inside the combustion chamber and destroy your engine.
I got copper ACDelcos from rockauto, the gap was way off when I got them. But I'm wondering if I gapped them too far.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update, cleaned throttle body and it's running the same except with a small vacuum leak coming back to idle from revving because one of the throttle body studs broke.

Its idling at 490-500rpm, feels low to me and I'm wondering that's why its stumbling, because when I forgot a vacuum hose it was at 750rpm and it sounded much smoother. Just dont know why its idling low

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have to think that cleaning that throttle body would do nothing but improve things.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@TollKeeper
Sprayed around intake ports and vacuum lines that I could see(could only see a couple) nothing happened to the idle. I forgot to do the throttle body gasket but Im going to replace while the body is off anyways. The hiss is definitely coming from the drivers side.

@mattbta Will def look into that, thanks!

@Fless Def a really good idea lol.

Here is a video of the idle without belt on
Some of the noise is also the muffler delete, which I'm going to be putting a muffler on soon.

Here is a picture of the throttle body. Will definitely be cleaning this very well, its nasty.

If none of this stuff helps I'm going to try regapping the plugs.
View attachment 389096
Drivers side of the engine? There's only 2 things that could cause a vacuum leak, the pcv line from the valve cover to plenum, and the 4 intake ports. At least that's all I can think of.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drivers side of the engine? There's only 2 things that could cause a vacuum leak, the pcv line from the valve cover to plenum, and the 4 intake ports. At least that's all I can think of.
Definitely the intake ports then, took the PCV line off and its fine. What about on the passenger side? I know the EVAP Purge solenoid can cause a vacuum leak too. But my fuel trims seem good so it must not be a huge leak.

Attachments

• 20230108_121449.jpg
    20230108_121449.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230108_121441.jpg
    20230108_121441.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230108_121435.jpg
    20230108_121435.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230108_121314.jpg
    20230108_121314.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But coincidentally while still a low lean, the drivers side(bank 1) is still higher than the passenger side at 0.0% ST and LT, its got me thinking a small vacuum leak.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had new and old Chevy engines since the mid 60's. They tick and keep on running. Our '08 clicks until warmed up.
Worst case was a solid lifter engine with .030" valve clearance. That clatter makes you ignore just about all other engine clicks.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So today I was going to remove the plugs and I wanted to pull the dipstick tube out, bit the bracket broke. But I still got the tube out with a struggle. However now without the bracket with it back in its loose, I think its fully seated. With it moving like this will I be able to get an accurate level reading or should I get a new tube?
Video :