Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, just tonight while taking pictures of my Tahoe I noticed this ticking it's making. It's worrying me a bit, but I don't think it's rod knock at all. It almost sounds like it could be an exhaust manifold leak, or at worst a lifter problem. The sound is only heard at idle and as soon as I rev the truck at all it cannot be heard anymore.

Here's the videos of idle and while revving it(excuse the mess of pulley noise, they're worn out and are overdue for replacement)

Idle video:

Revving video:

Thanks!

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure you can see all the exhaust manifold bolts are in place. the back one and front one like to come out or they rust off.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me, the clear engine miss would worry me more.
I dont really think it's missing much, it has good power and runs fine, it doesnt feel very shaky or anything to me, haven't had any misfire codes either.

The pulleys are very worn and do make some weird sounds.

Now with that being said I do notice the truck idles low at 500rpm and there is almost a little stumble only at idle here and there but I dont really see a clear misfire constantly.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When you check exhaust manifold bolts, put fingers on and see if the broken part is just laying in the hole or even put a wrench on it and see if turns like is broken already.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you check exhaust manifold bolts, put fingers on and see if the broken part is just laying in the hole or even put a wrench on it and see if turns like is broken already.
Sounds good, I'm just scared if it backed out a bit and I go to tighten it's going to break on me.

Also from my video, do you think the engine is missing? If you agree it is I may look deeper into that.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres an update video. Truck is definitely idling quite rough and it through a cel which I'll get the code for soon. I'm starting to suspect a lifter issue

Last edited:
OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its throwing a code for a misfire P0300, and this only happens after I start hearing this tick
Not a good sign to me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon