Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Kriss

Reaction score
I can't tell from the video if it is lifters or not. I can't really hear the ticking. My 2001 5.3 liter was having lifter noise and had had it for a while. I was considering having the heads rebuilt. I decided to try something a friend recommended. I added a can of Sea Foam to the oil about a week before I changed the oil. I then drove a couple hundred miles over the next week. When I changed the oil and filter, I added the recommended amount of Motorkote. After a few weeks, the noise was gone. That was about 60 or 70k miles ago. I've continued to add Mototkote every 2 or 3 oil changes and the lifter noise hasn't come back. The truck has 330,000+ miles and has never had any internal engine work. I change the oil and filter every 5k miles. I don't know if it will solve your problem or not but it's cheaper than having the heads rebuilt.

I know some people claim Sea Foam and Motorkote are snake oil. All I know is I don't hear the ticking any more and my wife is no longer complaining about the noise her truck is making. I'm not verifying any other of their claims.

Mrrobalo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have had the same sound and when it was in dealership for tune up he told me the first bolt firewall side is broke off. MOST ARE Don’t know why. Good luck man

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I thought was an exhaust leak between the manifold and block on my 05 Jeep TJ turned out to actually be a leak at the flange. It was caused by a shift in everything from the collector pipe back, when the exhaust flange clamp loosened. I was amazed at how much ticking it was making. Sounded like a real bad valve lifter tick. I got off cheap on that one!

The broken manifold studs are fairly common, but I just thought I would mention in the event there is something just a little easier for repair... Look for any signs of leaks at the flange/clamp.

NorwegianHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any updates on the low RPM situation? I have quite similar symptoms as you, p0300, low PRM, stumbling, sometimes hear what I believe is a vacuum leak. Bought a new intake manifold gaskets, so we'll see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne