2004 Z71 - NächtKatze

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Bought with 145k miles on it, previous owner used it gently (mostly highway miles, some towing)

Stock Specs:
  • 5.3L V8
  • Z71 Suspension Package
  • 17" Snowflake Wheels
  • Roof Rack
  • DVD Player/RSE

Upgraded before I bought it:
  • Brush guard
  • 285/70R17
  • Cargo area floor rubber floor mat
  • Side/Back Windows limo tint

Upgrades I've done:
  • Plasti-Dipped Bowtie
  • XM/AUX input hack
  • Driver/Passenger Floor mats
  • Driver/Passenger generic seat covers (Bought second set in April/15, from ebay, fitted to the seats correctly)
  • HD/Tow Mirrors(Done in February/15)
  • Led dome light replacement(Done February/15)
  • Led footwell lighting (Done April/15 - Writeup coming soon!)

Upgrades to come:
  • Plasti dip bumpers
  • Plasti dip select interior parts
  • Hi6 Mod
  • Supplemental back-up lights
  • Led dome light replacement

I'll try to take pictures and keep updated on my projects.

Kkp8rrQ.png
queyOSp.png
VTjhyxO.png

Last edited by a moderator:

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. Post more pics!

OP
OP
NächtlictSanitäter
Reaction score
This is the AUX in jack project.

Supplies needed:
Stereo jack from Radio shackXN3EwOk.png
I used these splice connectors. J2rzFif.png
I used a 3ft Cat5(internet) cable for my wiring, I felt like it was more tidy than running a couple different cables or taping them together. Disadvantages are you must replace the whole thing if you mess it up. tkZUauZ.png

The advantages of a switching jack over a regular jack is that when an aux cable is plugged in, the XM radio is completely disconnected, this removes the 'bleeding over' of signals from other inputs. I've read that that happens sometimes, and I wanted to avoid that.

Here's the jack after soldering. MP1mY2n.png It's been years since I've soldered so it looks pretty messy.

Here's the glovebox in its regular position. YsQXalf.png
Pulling that tab on the right towards the center of the vehicle, like so, Mr4FDco.png drops the glovebox all the way open, like this.f0rWNfS.png

This is the XM module in its natural habitat. RG3CSmK.png

Some people choose to tap wires behind the radio, but this seems like the easiest way to reach the same wires. No unscrewing or diss-assembly required.

After picture of the wiring.5qbHx78.png

You will be cutting the brown/white wire(left audio) and the green/white(right audio). Remember the jack disconnects the XM input? You are effectively extending that wire through your switch, which performs the functions I explained earlier. Aux connected? No XM input. Aux out? Full XM use. You can just tap into(don't cut) the black/white cable, as it is the ground.

Here is the wiring diagram for the Jack.UCCpXVI.png
Pin 1: To black/white wire
Pin 2: To Radio side of brown/white wire
Pin 3: To XM side of brown/white wire
Pin 4: To XM side of green/white wire
Pin 5: To Radio side of green/white wire

I did go back and heatshrink around my soldering job and tidy everything up.

Then I pulled the front of the dash around those cubbies off, gently, until the clips let go. Then I ran the cable like so, aXrf6I9.png and came up to the front. I drilled a hole slightly bigger than the front of the jack, and pushed it through. I did have to cut the plastic from around the whole a little bit, to make it thinner. The threads of the jack don't reach all the way through as it is.

But it ended up looking like this! KiExLdi.png

It sounds on par with FM radio pickup and XM.

Things that I should have done/done better.
-Choose a Cat5 cable that was male-female, connect the end, and do my wiring in the middle of the length. This would let me completely disconnect the circuit, just as a failsafe.
-If I plug my phone in for power and music at the same time, I hear the dreaded 'alternator whine'. I am not pleased with that, but for right now, I'm content with my music.

Also, I plasti-dipped the bowtie. w41z4EL.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
NächtlictSanitäter
Reaction score
Well, I came in to post pictures and update my original post, and it seems to have disappeared. Can any mods or other users explain what I did wrong? I went to the advanced edit page for the first post, and then when I pressed save with my updates, it vanished.

Thanks in advance!

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like they are there to me :) Thanks for the write up on the Aux Output. That's pretty cool :waytogo:

OP
OP
NächtlictSanitäter
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, guys!

It looks like it was a problem on my end, but it's back to normal now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NächtlictSanitäter
Reaction score
i decided a while back that I wanted footwell lighting.

So I ordered from superbrightleds.com
Qty Product/Options Price/Ea
2 WFLS-CW30-BK 50cm[19.7in] Cool White 13.95

You can search for that product code, or go here.

YQXEBlN.png

I don't plan on getting these wet, but they're waterproof so maybe they are a little bit more sturdy than the non-w/p? They are also designed so you can cut them every third LED and rewire them.

Then I went to autozone and radioshack, and got some electrical stuff.
  • Butt Connector l4bJoLM.png
  • Ring Connector 5oYmiJO.png
  • Roll of 18GA Wire JpfwBcM.png
  • On-Off-On Switch sAH6OQ0.png
  • Crimp Splices J2rzFif.png

WLOqkJA.png

Here's a simple diagram of the wiring bundle I made.

I measured twice, added 5 or so inches to every measurement of wire, and connected everything together as noted.

t1O8FRp.png

Zzs5JTB.png

The switch is On-Off-On, which means that with the switch to the left end, it connects the left post to the middle post. When the switch is centered, nothing is connected, essentially. When the switch is to the right, the right post is connected to the middle.

If you visualize the switch not being in the circuit, you have 3 separate circuits. With every circuit, the black/negative wires from the Led strips are spliced and run to the bolt on the firewall, as a ground.

Circuit 1 is courtesy lighting. The tap into the courtesy power under the dash is connected to the Y connecting the red/positives on the led strips. The led strips come on when you unlocked the car, open a door, press the courtesy lighting switch, or anything else that would turn the overhead/map/dome lights on in the car. They turn off at the same times at the overheads as well.

Circuit 2 is everything off. The led strips do not come on, no matter what the state of the car or ignition.

Circuit 3 is constant on. The power wire tapped behind the cigarette lighter runs to the Y connecting the red/positives on the led strips. The led strips are powered on all the time, whether the car is locked or unlocked or the ignition is on accessory or on. Always on.

Now, running all that through the switch gives you flexibility to have the lights on, off, or with courtesy at any time you like. The switch is "hidden" in my dash, in the back of the cubby under the radio.

I know some of you purists think that soldering is the only way to go, but I am terrible at soldering! SO, I used the connectors I listed to make clean connections that satisfy me, and shrinkwrapped every connection, except the spliced ones.

I then ran the strips up under the footwell molding, and used small clear zip ties to hold them in place. I didn't notice any light loss from using the ties. I read about some people having problems with the adhesive melting on the backs of the strips, so I didn't even bother.

One other thing, I cut the strips in half at one of the marks, and used half strips for the front footwells. I'll add onto the circuit and add in the other halves for the back seat later! I'm also thinking about perhaps throwing some under the step bars or back bumper.

EJteNy5.png

Right now, it's working perfectly, and I'm satisfied with it!

This is the passenger side.
PLMqtAV.png

By the way, I think my courtesy power splice only works for a certain year range of vehicles, but I'm not sure which.

I basically followed the wire bundle down the A post, and found the Molex connector it ran to, and then used a multimeter to find 12V when dome lights were on, and 0V when they were off. Tapped that wire, and ba-da-boom-ba-da-bing.

PkULfOZ.png

Ask any questions, I'm happy to help.

OP
OP
NächtlictSanitäter
Reaction score
I've tried two or three times to post an update, but it won't go through.

It says that a moderator has to approve my post?

Can anyone help?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got it "approved" for you. The reason is because of your low post count and having links in your post. This was put into place a few weeks back due to some issues we were having with spammers and such. I think this goes away once you hit 10 posts or something along those lines.

EDIT:....and I deleted the post you did right after this one because it was a repeat of what I'd already approved and made appear for you. You should be all good :Handshake:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abruck