2003 Yukon SLT flex fuel 5.3L whats brand would you use? cam, oil pump, lifters, timing chain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Summajet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to work on it some more tonight. I pulled the oil pan and will post a picture of it. I have a found a GMC dealer that sells the camshaft as GM Oem direct replacement. I think their listing states new/other. I am trying to confirm it is a new part. If it is they are asking $275 shipped. Called the machine shop and they hope to inspect the heads tomorrow and report back on Friday. Any recommendations for a torque dial indicator? I saw there is a lisle with a battery wire to keep dial from moving.

OP
OP
S

Summajet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures heads removed. Machine shop said condition the Heads have normal wear and suggested the valve guides be replaced. Keeping it stock on cam and heads. Since I am going to all this work I might as well fix it right.

I have found two Gm dealers that sell gm oem parts at a considerable reduced price from list. Example cam list for $590. Dealership out west has it for $275 shipped. Something to keep in mind in reducing your parts/repairs cost..

20190720_150541.jpg 20190720_152308.jpg 20190720_171337.jpg 20190731_185148.jpg 20190731_191630.jpg

OP
OP
S

Summajet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot I did remove the oil deflector plate and saw no metal inside crank. I used diesel fuel and washed from inside the valley pan into the long block with a catch pan. I am using all Gm parts except for I might use a fel pro gasket kit. Has anyone used the fel pro gasket kit that includes the head gaskets? Anyone?
Machine shop head total rebuild cost $364.38
Thanks

OP
OP
S

Summajet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to complete parts list. I spoke to machine shop and they use the fel pro head bolts and fel pro gaskets.

Anyone have a recommendation for a torque angle indicator?

OP
OP
S

Summajet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have suggestion on proper way to clean the block surface that the heads bolt onto and gasket surfaces? Had seen some use a paper disc but am concerned with damaging the block surface.

live2pull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have suggestion on proper way to clean the block surface that the heads bolt onto and gasket surfaces? Had seen some use a paper disc but am concerned with damaging the block surface.

Light steel wool and oil?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
S

Summajet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Light steel wool and oil?

I am considering removing the motor from truck. Besides removing transmission bolts and three flywheel bolts is
it hard install engine back and align transmission??. I would have a helper working the lift.

stand and reassemble. Seems easier to assemble and sure everything is clean and timing cover and oil pan seal right.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a rag, a lot of carburetor cleaner as well as a lot of elbow grease to clean the block and careful use of a gasket scraper. I would shy away from steel wool as I would hate to have a small piece of wire shed off and cause issues. I would add a new timing chain tensioner to your list. Not very expensive, but with over 200K, cheap insurance.

As for removing the motor, your basically down to the short block so not a bad idea to pull it. With help, should t be too tough. You can get to your rear main seal that way and check it out/replace it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan