2003 Yukon SLT flex fuel 5.3L whats brand would you use? cam, oil pump, lifters, timing chain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Summajet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Received Gm lifters today. I am planning on replacing the water pump, radiators hoses, timing chain. I did not see the tensioner. Once i get the motor removed it will be easier to install a timing cover seal, cover, and oil pan. It will make it much easier to have the clearance to perform the torque sequence. I will be glad when i get done.......
LOL

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a rag, a lot of carburetor cleaner as well as a lot of elbow grease to clean the block and careful use of a gasket scraper. I would shy away from steel wool as I would hate to have a small piece of wire shed off and cause issues. I would add a new timing chain tensioner to your list. Not very expensive, but with over 200K, cheap insurance.

As for removing the motor, your basically down to the short block so not a bad idea to pull it. With help, should t be too tough. You can get to your rear main seal that way and check it out/replace it.
Timing chain tensioner? No such thing on these motors.

OP
OP
S

Summajet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked again and I did not see one. I know my 00 mountaineer did not have one either.

OP
OP
S

Summajet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries, I did timing chain and water pump on my mountaineer and never had done it before. So far I have 1 timing chain and 2 timing belts under my belt. I am nervous on this one.
Lol

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take your time, double check everything and have your helper confirm, if you have one. As someone said, the moment of truth is when you turn the key for the first time.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I replace the cam in my 6.2, I discovered my starter locked up so the engine wouldn’t turn over but the dash lights and everything else worked. Had a moment of panic thinking through everything and when my heart started beating again, that’s when I was able to track it down to a bad starter.

My wife had my 10 year old son standing in the yard with a fire extinguisher in case the thing caught in fire for some reason. Imagine the let down when the thing wouldn’t even turn over!

Last edited:

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but now I have a funny story. After I got the starter replaced, just needed to cleanup some vacuum leaks by torquing the intake manifold. And replacing the PCV hose that was split for some reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98