2003 Suburban EASIEST EFAN Swap Ever!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I've been looking thru posts of people going to the junk yards to source efan swap kits out of 2005-2006 trucks and such to ditch their Clutch Fans with. I havent seen much on Nelson Performance's Wiring Harness kits so I decided to make one. I have a 2003 Suburban that came with clutch fans and I used LKQ sourced 2009 model fans with more blades. I mentioned 7/9 in the video but its actually 5/7 blades. This is the fastest and cleanest install you can do, IMO, as opposed to sourcing fuse blocks and such from the local junkyard. Here's the link to the wiring harness and I'll include the directions showing which pin numbers to connect to.
HOPEFULLY an Admin can STICKY this.
Thanks
Cam
800.JPG799.JPGIMG_2270.jpgIMG_2269.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately plenty of people have had aftermarket harnesses, including Nelson’s, melt in situations where the weather is real hot. I had this issue with my LS1fans.com harness. It stranded me 100 miles from home in 100* heat. Some people have had good luck. Myself, I’ll never do anything other than an OEM setup. It’s never even got more than warm since I installed the factory box with its relays and fuses. It’s a better design. Just a heads up.

OP
OP
summithighrise09
Reaction score
Unfortunately plenty of people have had aftermarket harnesses, including Nelson’s, melt in situations where the weather is real hot. I had this issue with my LS1fans.com harness. It stranded me 100 miles from home in 100* heat. Some people have had good luck. Myself, I’ll never do anything other than an OEM setup. It’s never even got more than warm since I installed the factory box with its relays and fuses. It’s a better design. Just a heads up.
I can’t speak to that because I’ve had 4 harnesses. 4 different trucks. 4 totally different years. I’d carefully say they were possibly installed insufficiently. Maybe. Maybe not. No way to know probably.
thanks
Cam

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t speak to that because I’ve had 4 harnesses. 4 different trucks. 4 totally different years. I’d carefully say they were possibly installed insufficiently. Maybe. Maybe not. No way to know probably.
thanks
Cam
That’s what Nelson and the others always blamed it on, installer error. Except there’s pretty much zero to go wrong with the install. One power wire, right to the main positive battery connection, one ground wire to the frame, one trigger wire. The other two are the plugs on the fans. It always seems to be hit or miss. There’s a few members here who had theirs melt too. I even rebuilt mine with 60 amp relays and relay block and heavier gauge wire. It started melting the heavier relay block. The fans never failed to run after I upgraded everything but the partial melting of that block was the last straw. Maybe my fans drew too much power but they were the same ones many others used. Maybe the location where those relays are mounted was the issue, too close to the radiator. Either way, the only thing I changed was the harness to an OEM one and no problems since. If you do a Google search for this issue you’ll find it’s not so rare.

OP
OP
summithighrise09
Reaction score
That’s what Nelson and the others always blamed it on, installer error. Except there’s pretty much zero to go wrong with the install. One power wire, right to the main positive battery connection, one ground wire to the frame, one trigger wire. The other two are the plugs on the fans. It always seems to be hit or miss. There’s a few members here who had theirs melt too. I even rebuilt mine with 60 amp relays and relay block and heavier gauge wire. It started melting the heavier relay block. The fans never failed to run after I upgraded everything but the partial melting of that block was the last straw. Maybe my fans drew too much power but they were the same ones many others used. Maybe the location where those relays are mounted was the issue, too close to the radiator. Either way, the only thing I changed was the harness to an OEM one and no problems since. If you do a Google search for this issue you’ll find it’s not so rare.
I definitely don’t doubt what you’re saying. I’ve just never had that issue. I’ve always made sure they got a good ground and good connection to the power box. But you’re right there are sooo many different ideas in what could’ve gone wrong.
Thanks
Cam

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had one of those harnesses, it melted. We made one, it works fine.

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to do the efan upgrade. I haven't yet as I've seen the torment from others.
I've read and seen on YouTube where people get so frustrated with failure they just go back to the mechanical fan.
Does anyone have a good parts list for the efan upgrade?
I don't mind buying new parts.

What fans? from what year?
Does the radiator need to be upgraded?
OEM? Harness? Where do I get that?
What else do I need?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to do the efan upgrade. I haven't yet as I've seen the torment from others.
I've read and seen on YouTube where people get so frustrated with failure they just go back to the mechanical fan.
Does anyone have a good parts list for the efan upgrade?
I don't mind buying new parts.

What fans? from what year?
Does the radiator need to be upgraded?
OEM? Harness? Where do I get that?
What else do I need?
Fans from 05-06 Tahoe. New or junkyard. Radiator needs to be the 34”, most are but double check. I highly recommend an OEM harness, 05- 06, possibly can get one from @ScottyBoy or wrecking yard/EBay. Here’s a good thread on it.

And you will need to have a tuner turn on the pin on the ECM. If you have HP Tuners you can do it, or anybody that does tunes can.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fans from 05-06 Tahoe. New or junkyard. Radiator needs to be the 34”, most are but double check. I highly recommend an OEM harness, 05- 06, possibly can get one from @ScottyBoy or wrecking yard/EBay. Here’s a good thread on it.

And you will need to have a tuner turn on the pin on the ECM. If you have HP Tuners you can do it, or anybody that does tunes can.
Can you turn the pin on with a Tech2?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KCW_Andrew