2003 Suburban EASIEST EFAN Swap Ever!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you turn the pin on with a Tech2?
No. Only tuning software like HPT or EFI Live or similar. It wasn’t an option until the 05 MY and the Tech2 knows what year your truck is. All it can do is flash the PCM to stock.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm new to Chevy's and maybe it is different here, but I can share what usually came up on the Wrangler Forum while I had my 05 Rubicon...
Many people, who converted from stock fan/clutch to electric fan(s), went searching junk yards and Ebay for original stock fans to put back in.

Main reasons included:
Engines ran hot, because more fan blades blocked air flow at highway speeds.
-or-
Electric fan motors did not like getting wet, when off-roading. Overheat situations caused when water killed the fan motor.
-or-
The electric fan motor just burnt out.

The engineers specifically designed a fan with X number of blades, of s certain dimension and pitch for maximum flow and cooling.
Sometimes, more is not better.

Fan clutches can fail. But they are usually good for a lot of miles before they do.

While fording big puddles or deep water can raise havoc with other components, if swamped bad enough...
Mechanical or thermal fan clutches don't care if they get wet. One less component to worry about, should you hit water on the trail with good old fan clutch setup.

Having just come from the Jeep, it seems that a lot of people agreed that is was often best to stick with factory stock radiators and fan components.
I don't think I would be one to go with a conversion to electric cooling fans on my 04 Tahoe. I'll keep that all factory.

To each, his (or her) own... Vehicle upgrades and accessories are very-much a personal thing.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM converted to e-fans in 2005 for most consumer vehicles on the GMT800 platform (of which your 2004 Tahoe is a member). They kept the clutch fan set up on the 3/4+ ton vehicles, however. Most folks working with the 1/2 ton vehicles like the efans because they cool better in the majority of driving conditions consumers find themselves. Further, som engine builders like them as well. If nothing else, you will get consistently better use out of your air conditioner if you have efans than if you have clutch fans. After that, for anything that didn't come stock with an efan -- it is up to the owner's preference. But I don't think you are going to face the issues you are suggesting with the OEM fans.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM converted to e-fans in 2005 for most consumer vehicles on the GMT800 platform (of which your 2004 Tahoe is a member). They kept the clutch fan set up on the 3/4+ ton vehicles, however. Most folks working with the 1/2 ton vehicles like the efans because they cool better in the majority of driving conditions consumers find themselves. Further, som engine builders like them as well. If nothing else, you will get consistently better use out of your air conditioner if you have efans than if you have clutch fans. After that, for anything that didn't come stock with an efan -- it is up to the owner's preference. But I don't think you are going to face the issues you are suggesting with the OEM fans.
Unless you’re wading rivers. At which point there’s plenty of other things that are going to get wet. :p

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! That is helpful information. Still getting educated on GM stuff...

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The AC condensers on the GMT800 platform seem to be inadequate, at least when combined with the clutch fan. I know mine sucked in stop and go traffic, now with e fans it works way better. It used to start blowing hot air if the ambient was 95 or above and I wasn’t moving to keep airflow going. Now it rarely ever does that. GM did address the problem prior to going to e fans by issuing a TSB which called for installing an auxiliary electric fan directed at the condenser but it was a PIA to install and wire in. It wouldn’t work on mine due to the intercooler for my supercharger anyway. There’s other pluses to the e fans as well- more room up front and easier to work on the front of the engine, a few more hp, cleaner look, etc.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NNBS fans will also fit. Iirc up to at least 2014.
Will the NNBS fans from 07-14 bolt up the same as the 05-06 factory fans? Would you happen to know if the plugs are the same for NBS 05-06 fans and 07+ NNBS fans? Asking all this because I just found a clean set of NNBS fans in a pick your part and considering bringing them home and going about the conversion.

Is the factory relay block, fan controller the same between 05/06 and 07 and later? I already have the fan controller/relay block from a 2005 Tahoe, but had not picked up the fans & shroud yet.

I seem to remember that the 07+ E-fans were superior to the earlier 05/06 for some reason I can't recall????
Thanks all.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Will the NNBS fans from 07-14 bolt up the same as the 05-06 factory fans? Would you happen to know if the plugs are the same for NBS 05-06 fans and 07+ NNBS fans? Asking all this because I just found a clean set of NNBS fans in a pick your part and considering bringing them home and going about the conversion.

Is the factory relay block, fan controller the same between 05/06 and 07 and later? I already have the fan controller/relay block from a 2005 Tahoe, but had not picked up the fans & shroud yet.

I seem to remember that the 07+ E-fans were superior to the earlier 05/06 for some reason I can't recall????
Thanks all.
Sorry, I don't know 1st hand(I actually read about the fitment on tyf), but I'd guess yes--that they bolt up the same, and the plugs are most likely the same--if not that's easy enough to swap. I don't know about the rest tho. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe