SOLVED: No Gear Indicator / No Start After Trans Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CHROMATIC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks in advance for your assistance

Alright, so here are the details.

Vehicle: 2003 Yukon XL 1500 4x4
Engine: 5.3L
Transmission: 4l60e Auto (original transmission was labeled 3KCD. Swapped trans is now a 2KCD)
Mileage: 102,000.

Helping a friend out here. We just finished swapping a used 4l60e into the Yuke because of a bad 3/4 clutch pack. The used transmission was kept under shelter, and wrapped in tarp and bubble wrap. IIRC it was taken out of a 2002 suburban 5.3L

Got hit by a little rain on the way to the shop and a small amount of water collected on the power supply connection (where the pigtail connector goes). There was absolutely no water or debris in the fluid when we checked it out, and the fluid itself was just fine in color. Water did not leak further down into the trans from the connection, we sucked it up, dried it off, and cleaned it using some QD electrical cleaner. This was the only part of the trans the water got to.

After the swap we go to start the vehicle and all is normal on the dash, including the gear indicator, but we get a single click on the starter. I suspect a bad starter. We turn the key off, lightly bump the starter, and try again. This time it is turning over, but we notice there is no gear display and it will not start. Speedometer does not go to zero, and we have a CEL with no codes.

Almost at our wits end here. We correctly installed a new PNP (neutral safety) switch to see if this would fix the problem but it has not.

Additional Info:

- Truck started and drove prior to swap

- Driver side front and side frame rail grounds have been cleaned

- Pictures below. Looking under the vehicle, the original grey 7 pin PNP connector on the harness has 6 of 7 inserts that have metal contacts inside them. The labeled "A" slot does not have a metal contact inside, and as I understand it from a wiring diagram, this is unused on some 4l60e's while others have a 7th wire that is hooked up here. I am including this info in the post because part of me is thinking the 2KCD may not "read" properly if it was originally hooked up with 7 wires and 7 pins in the 2002 Suburban.

- I've did my best to remove any glue from the contacts on the connector

Potential problem areas

- Blown fuses. We've checked most major fuses but not all.

- Loose or broken connections under the underhood fuse block

- It's just the starter, and we have a loose instrument cluster connection. (I don't find this likely but I'm not ruling it out lol)

- Bad connection at the pigtail due to the water. I did make sure the connector was nice and snug to rule out the possibility of a loose connection

- Bad pressure switch manifold?

7067-2001-blazer-transmission-issues-pnp_switch_c1.gif

PNPSwitch_7.jpg

OP
OP
CHROMATIC

CHROMATIC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
SOLVED:

So it turned out to be a combination of 2 things.

No Start:

Although we did not pull any codes the first time around, we later pulled a pending code P0335 "Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit A"

We pulled the new starter out and sure enough the "A" circuit wire on the CPS sensor was pulled out. We soldered the connection in, reinstalled the starter, and it fired right up!

No Gear Indicator:

Loose connection to the gauge cluster. A firm smack to the top of the dash made made it appear :waytogo: We'll address that loose connection soon.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx for following up with a fix, I'm sure it will help somebody out sooner or later. Did you drop the tranny with a tranny jack? Just curious as I was planning to drop mine but I don't have one on hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec