2"-3" bell tech question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
After reading through this thread it seems like this is the way i want to go, just a couple questions...

Are you guys running the stock 285/45/22 tires with this kit?

Is there any rubbing?

yes i ran it with 285 45 22 and no issues. Only rubbing i saw was plastic liners which can be heated and bent. Im my case i went with 305 35 24 and cut the liners and put up pics of my esky with the kit on.

Vigh_J

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes i ran it with 285 45 22 and no issues. Only rubbing i saw was plastic liners which can be heated and bent. Im my case i went with 305 35 24 and cut the liners and put up pics of my esky with the kit on.

Do you have a link to the pics Tony? Are those the 24" reps in your sig?

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading through this thread it seems like this is the way i want to go, just a couple questions...

Are you guys running the stock 285/45/22 tires with this kit?

Is there any rubbing?

I get rubbing with the set up you asked about. Only right front with close to full-lock right hand turns, and some rubbing from the rears when backing out of driveways at an angle. It's all against the wheel well plastic liners, so I haven't been too concerned about it.

Vigh_J

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get rubbing with the set up you asked about. Only right front with close to full-lock right hand turns, and some rubbing from the rears when backing out of driveways at an angle. It's all against the wheel well plastic liners, so I haven't been too concerned about it.

Thanks KMeloney... You have an awesome stance goin on with that Tahoe!!

Yes i sell them

here is the write up on my truck
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36707

That Esky is a peice of art, must handle amaziing!! Thanks for you info Tony, def have some planning ahead of me :)

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
I know most of you guys are dealing with Tahoes, Yukons - Do the Suburbans and XLs respond differently to these kits in terms of using the spacer or not? I understand not using the spacer in the shorter body style, but with the extra weight of the longer trucks, would you require the spacer to keep the rear from being too low?

My '07 Burbn with the spacer sits: Fr 33 7/8", Rr 34 7/8" with links at 3" (compressor comes on each start); When I had the Belltech links adjusted as short as possible, the Rear sits at about 34 1/2" (compressor comes on at each start).

On a side note: the addition of Tony's rear kit to the Belltech set-up is like night and day in terms of the ride and handling!

Mark

My compressor comes on at each start as well both with the links at 3" and when I shortened them to 2.75"... I have the spacer in as well. I'm tempted to remove the spacer and put the links back to 3" and (per Tony) put in the spacer on the one side to rid the gm lean. Just not certain yet.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My compressor comes on at each start as well both with the links at 3" and when I shortened them to 2.75"... I have the spacer in as well. I'm tempted to remove the spacer and put the links back to 3" and (per Tony) put in the spacer on the one side to rid the gm lean. Just not certain yet.

No one seems to be able to explain this to me, so I'm not buying it. If the compressor comes on as a reaction to the location of the rear autoride servos, and they react to the length of the autoride links, then what's the difference if you take the spacers out and then LENGTHEN the links? The way I see it, you're just putting more air in the shocks by having the links set longer.

Unless you're looking to firm up the ride -- which I am not/wasn't -- then I don't know why you'd be interested in pulling the spacer and lengthening the links. The only reason I could see for doing this is 1) if you want a firmer ride while keeping the rear as low as possible, or 2) if you want a lower ride that's softer, and you've shortened the links to the max (2.5") and still want to be lower.

On my truck, with the spacer in and the links shortened, I can not go ANY lower, or the truck will be sagging in the rear. Also, my rear shocks are closer to the intended travel with the spacer in. With the spacer out, the truck would sit lower and the shock travel shortened, and the axle brought that much closer to the bumpstops. In order to not contact the bumpstops/frame, I'd have to cut the stops brackets off (don't want to do that) and get air into the shocks to keep the rear from sagging -- and this kicks the compressor on and stiffens the ride. I don't want that.

I'm not saying that none of you guys should set your trucks up this other way. You can do whatever you'd like. Tony loves his truck set up this way. For me, it makes no sense to do it this way, visually or ride-wise.

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
No one seems to be able to explain this to me, so I'm not buying it. If the compressor comes on as a reaction to the location of the rear autoride servos, and they react to the length of the autoride links, then what's the difference if you take the spacers out and then LENGTHEN the links? The way I see it, you're just putting more air in the shocks by having the links set longer.

Unless you're looking to firm up the ride -- which I am not/wasn't -- then I don't know why you'd be interested in pulling the spacer and lengthening the links. The only reason I could see for doing this is 1) if you want a firmer ride while keeping the rear as low as possible, or 2) if you want a lower ride that's softer, and you've shortened the links to the max (2.5") and still want to be lower.

On my truck, with the spacer in and the links shortened, I can not go ANY lower, or the truck will be sagging in the rear. Also, my rear shocks are closer to the intended travel with the spacer in. With the spacer out, the truck would sit lower and the shock travel shortened, and the axle brought that much closer to the bumpstops. In order to not contact the bumpstops/frame, I'd have to cut the stops brackets off (don't want to do that) and get air into the shocks to keep the rear from sagging -- and this kicks the compressor on and stiffens the ride. I don't want that.

I'm not saying that none of you guys should set your trucks up this other way. You can do whatever you'd like. Tony loves his truck set up this way. For me, it makes no sense to do it this way, visually or ride-wise.

I guess I'd just like to know what the difference in ride actually feels like between each method. I'm also curious if only using the 1" spacer will help correct the gm lean a little or just mess up the suspension geometry.

OP
OP
2011Tahoe

2011Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont believe tony has his spacer in just that one side? Is that because of all the other suspension goodies he has though? I know he has his links set up differnt 3" left side 2.75" right side, as do i 3" left and 2 5/8 right, my compressor kicks on every now and then like it did stock and when it is aired up it is almost even side to side and ride is pretty close to stock. But i would like the links set the same so maybe tony can chime in about the spacer in the one side and suspension geometry.

OP
OP
2011Tahoe

2011Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tony do you have the spacer in the left rear? If i were to install the spacer in the left rear would that affect ride quality? My thinking is spacer in left rear and set links to 2.75 center to center. I just dont want to feel any real difference in ride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n