1999 5.7l yukon power steering pump removal, 4x4, can't get it off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

Puke

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got some help from my kids. Here are two pics. One of the old power steering and one of the new. See the shoulder on the stud? that shoulder is not on the old one. ANd it does affect the back bracket alignment, but I am not so sure it would do anything to the alignment of the front shaft once it's installed.

yukonsteering1.jpg yukonsteering2.jpg

OP
OP
P

Puke

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I thought I just uploaded 2 pics. Now they are gone. Here they are again,. They show the new pump having a shoulder where the old one doesnt (top bracket stud). I'm not sure I should drill the bracket to fit over the shoulder. But nobody is at autozone today for me to go see if they've got a correct one.

yukonsteering1.jpg yukonsteering2.jpg

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy crap. The replacement pump I got from autozone looked like an exact match. But now I see that BOTH the studs have a "hold out" shoulder rather than just the bottom one. These are the studs to attach the bracket. I was going to just drill the top hole of the bracket out,..but then I thought,....what if something else is amiss???? I can't really see anything else. But nothing good ever happens when you depend on Autozone for your parts ..I mainly use them because of the lifetime guarantee.

Like spacers? And it won't fit int he bracket?

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I just uploaded 2 pics. Now they are gone. Here they are again,. They show the new pump having a shoulder where the old one doesnt (top bracket stud). I'm not sure I should drill the bracket to fit over the shoulder. But nobody is at autozone today for me to go see if they've got a correct one.

View attachment 235056 View attachment 235057

Maybe you can swap the studs over?

OP
OP
P

Puke

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think I'll wait until autozone is open. The Yukon is important to me because my wife can drive it in snow and be somewhat safe compared to her Camry (Right now the roads are clear). It get's driven a couple thousand miles a year,..and mostly by me (when my diesel truck is too full of materials and I'm in a hurry).

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'll wait until autozone is open. The Yukon is important to me because my wife can drive it in snow and be somewhat safe compared to her Camry (Right now the roads are clear). It get's driven a couple thousand miles a year,..and mostly by me (when my diesel truck is too full of materials and I'm in a hurry).

Ok cool, I thought you were in a time crunch to get this done today. Keep us posted how it goes.

OP
OP
P

Puke

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It will fit, but the shoulder prevents it from going the last 3/16 of an inch... So I'm scratching my head over what they were thinking. HOWEVER,..the 4 main bolts that bolt the power steering pump in,..they will hold the unit so the shaft is perpendicular to the belt,..I am beginning to think I might just drill that bracket out so I can quit worrying about it. I can't see how it affects anything if I drill that out,...UNLESS,..I get another pump someday and it is the "correct" one without the shoulder (that shouldn't have been on this one)..then I will be a bit irritated.

OP
OP
P

Puke

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just read a LOT of reviews given,..on autozone power steering pumps. APPARENLY there's not a cold chance in hell I am going to use this one,..or any other one from autozone,. I didn't know their PSPump reviews were so bad. And I see on amazon it appears they are selling NEW OEM AC DELCO pumps....that are not new but actually remanufactured and not really a direct fit in many instances. Do I trust NAPA? THis took wayyyyy too long to get out for me to ever want to do it again. Where should I go? I am guessing Oreilly's is the same crap as autozone?
I am so surprised that I don't trust Amazon on this one. But I don't.

OP
OP
P

Puke

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I now must trouble you with another question, if you have time. My pump exhibits NO normal symptoms of a pump going out. Has 110k miles on it. I first thought it was a squeaky belt, then I thought a small twig was stuck between the pully and the motor..but you can't see much in that little spot. So I finally used a snorkle and got some lube down onto where the shaft meets the pump (WD40). That would quiet it down completely for a short period and make the "twig sound" go away (incidentally I heard this exact sound from a minivan in a parking lot last week). It made no "pump noise" whether I was turning or going straight. Or fast or slow,. etc., and required little effort to turn, as always. So I am really purplexed. I hope I am not going to look all over for an oem grade pump and find out it was not needed.????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645