16 slt vrs denali suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimr5454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but ride and future repairs are importan as i plan to ride till it or I it die .my currant 08 is pushing 260,000 and still runs great but kids need a car so time to pass the torch and upgrade ... besides electrinic upgrades is extra money for the denali name worth it.any commants on suspension is very helpful as they both preowned im looking at ride great as of now same color same year very close on milliage

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think at the end of the day only you can make this choice. Because only you know what you’re willing to pay for and what you want/need.

Ride preferences between magnetic ride control of the Denali’s vs “smooth ride” non magnetic ride control of the SLT’s will be exactly that; Preferences, personal opinions, and everyone will have one.

Is replacing magnetic ride control shocks/struts more expensive than the other suspension options? Yes
Does it ride better or worse? Preference/personal opinion. I happen to think it does because from my experience it does.
Does one type of suspension (magnetic ride vs. smooth ride, standard shocks/struts) last longer than the other? Preference, driving habits, vehicle use, etc.
Based on how I drive versus how you drive could be a totally different “wear & tear” experience on parts for any given 20K, 30K, or 50K mile span.

Are there a few more options or “bells & whistles” in the Denali versus the SLT? Sure, but not many.

The real difference is in the drivetrain:
SLT = 5.3L & 6 speed
Denali = 6.2L & 8 speed or 10 speed (2018+).

If you can swing a 2018+ with the 10 speed do it. If not the 8 speed isn’t is good too; It shifts just like any other GM automatic transmission I’ve owned, gets similar/same gas mileage as the 10 speed and day-to-day operation is no real difference between the 8 and 10 speed. Lots of people will bad mouth the 8 speed but the 10 speed has quirks and TSB’s too.

GM is still putting the 8L90E in the C7 Stingray, C7 Grand Sport, and 3rd Gen CTS-V.

Do some research, and research some more. There are plenty of informative threads on this forum from experienced owners for you to read up on. Make an educated decision and purchase what’s right for you.

Good luck in your purchase.

OP
OP
jimr5454

jimr5454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think at the end of the day only you can make this choice. Because only you know what you’re willing to pay for and what you want/need.

Ride preferences between magnetic ride control of the Denali’s vs “smooth ride” non magnetic ride control of the SLT’s will be exactly that; Preferences, personal opinions, and everyone will have one.

Is replacing magnetic ride control shocks/struts more expensive than the other suspension options? Yes
Does it ride better or worse? Preference/personal opinion. I happen to think it does because from my experience it does.
Does one type of suspension (magnetic ride vs. smooth ride, standard shocks/struts) last longer than the other? Preference, driving habits, vehicle use, etc.
Based on how I drive versus how you drive could be a totally different “wear & tear” experience on parts for any given 20K, 30K, or 50K mile span.

Are there a few more options or “bells & whistles” in the Denali versus the SLT? Sure, but not many.

The real difference is in the drivetrain:
SLT = 5.3L & 6 speed
Denali = 6.2L & 8 speed or 10 speed (2018+).

If you can swing a 2018+ with the 10 speed do it. If not the 8 speed isn’t is good too; It shifts just like any other GM automatic transmission I’ve owned, gets similar/same gas mileage as the 10 speed and day-to-day operation is no real difference between the 8 and 10 speed. Lots of people will bad mouth the 8 speed but the 10 speed has quirks and TSB’s too.

GM is still putting the 8L90E in the C7 Stingray, C7 Grand Sport, and 3rd Gen CTS-V.

Do some research, and research some more. There are plenty of informative threads on this forum from experienced owners for you to read up on. Make an educated decision and purchase what’s right for you.

Good luck in your purchase.[/Q

I appreciate you taking the time

Thank you..