10 speed trans question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pa31p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Waiting for an appointment (trans guy off sick) to check out the 10 speed shudder I’ve been seeing around 1200 RPM.

I crawled under the car just now to check for anything obvious, did not see any kinked/ leaking lines but did notice few things,

There’s two aluminum oil pipes coming out of the transmisson. both are cool/cold after an hour drive. The trans pan is warm/hot

The trans temp never goes above 120F after an hour drive. (32F outside)

the temps have me wonder if the transmission oil pump died, would this toss an error code?

Will post back, hopefully transmission tech back tomorrow.

Service advisor said there is no reported issues with 10 speed aside from few kinked lines, I believe him as you won’t find much info on problems with 10 speeds.

Last edited:

Mando6point2

Reaction score
I would think if trans pump died you would see alot more than just a shudder, complete loss of forward motion even. Trans codes would set too. Not sure what trans thermostat is set to on the 10 speeds but could be too low of a temp for it to open and send fluid through the lines and the cooler. how many miles?

Mando6point2

Reaction score
from brief research the thermostat on the 10 speeds opens up at 194 so that might explain why the lines are cold to the touch. Hope he can figure out the shudder issue for you i would think GM got that bug out of the 10 speeds but i guess not. Maybe a simple fluid flush with Mobil 1 fluid will do the trick like on the 8 speeds

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Waiting for an appointment (trans guy off sick) to check out the 10 speed shudder I’ve been seeing around 1200 RPM.

I crawled under the car just now to check for anything obvious, did not see any kinked/ leaking lines but did notice few things,

There’s two aluminum oil pipes coming out of the transmisson. both are cool/cold after an hour drive. The trans pan is warm/hot

The trans temp never goes above 120F after an hour drive. (32F outside)

the temps have me wonder if the transmission oil pump died, would this toss an error code?

Will post back, hopefully transmission tech back tomorrow.

Service advisor said there is no reported issues with 10 speed aside from few kinked lines, I believe him as you won’t find much info on problems with 10 speeds.
Driving in similar outside temps as you and mine seems to hold in the low 170's on interstate driving. Slower, in town driving I saw it climb as high as 185, but never above that.

OP
OP
pa31p

pa31p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for checking that, assume you have the 5.3L. hottest I’ve seen sofar is 150F even with outside temps around 65F

Dealer wants me to drive around as is for 1000 more miles, see if it disappears.

Fluid wise, this trans calls for the Dextron ULV atf fluid

wonder if it’s rebranded Mobil 1 blue label LV HP (used to fix issues in 8 speeds)

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for checking that, assume you have the 5.3L. hottest I’ve seen sofar is 150F even with outside temps around 65F

Dealer wants me to drive around as is for 1000 more miles, see if it disappears.

Fluid wise, this trans calls for the Dextron ULV atf fluid

wonder if it’s rebranded Mobil 1 blue label LV HP (used to fix issues in 8 speeds)
3.0 Duramax

thegrunter

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum. I currently have a 2021 Blazer and the 9 Speed blew-up. They tried the fluid flush with 200 miles driven and that didn't work. Replaced the Torque Converter and that didn't work. They are now replacing the tranny. I suspect this type of problem would happen in the 10 Speed too and it appears it has. I'm thinking about upgrading to the Tahoe, but I'm afraid the 10 Speed is a lemon like the 8 Speed class action lawsuit going on now. It doesn't appear that it's an issue in this forum. Am I looking in the wrong forum topics to see if the 10 speed has more issues like the 8 speed did? Thanks in advance.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ULV is specific for 10 speeds only. Do not use LV HP fluid on the 10 speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt