10.9 mpg? Is it bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think a small exhaust manifold leak is going to affect your mpg. unless you have really poor maintenance or possibly a torque converter issue then it is 100% dependent upon how much you push the big pedal.
for example next time you drive try going really easy on the pedal and slow on the stop, coast as much as you can. you will see a difference.
basically drive like a 95 year old women who is in no rush to go anywhere.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think a small exhaust manifold leak is going to affect your mpg. unless you have really poor maintenance or possibly a torque converter issue then it is 100% dependent upon how much you push the big pedal.
for example next time you drive try going really easy on the pedal and slow on the stop, coast as much as you can. you will see a difference.
basically drive like a 95 year old women who is in no rush to go anywhere.
Man… idk what’s wrong with it. So many issues people describe. I really got ****** over. 14.5k in the whole for 6 years.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like what you stated on this thread @wjburken

My advice is if you don't like driving it that much, then peddle it and get something more economical. Also, forget premium on a 5.3L, you aren't going to gain a thing, so save yourself some money there.

Also, not fixing items that are COSTING money each tank with crappy MPG will easily add up to the $700 you speak of. It does suck to not have tools, a mechanic friend, or a reputable fair shop to lean on.

Luckily I've been blessed with a dad that worked on cars his whole career and taught most of us kids. I do however, struggle finding the value in certain repairs based on the condition of the vehicle or a Meh kind of feeling about it.

Look for a good car with a 3.8L (buick and pontiac up to 2008, chevy until 2005). Easy to work on, basically indescribable, and high 20's to low 30's mpg. FWIW.....
Gonna be hard to trade if it has a TC issue. Hopefully not

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
manifold leak actually suck in air.. more o2 in the exhaust and the ecm corrects by adding more fuel. so yeah it can hurt mpg. but honestly not enough to really matter.

from all your threads it's pretty obvious you don't like the truck and have no real desire to fix it, or more likely it's not actually broken, you just aren't enjoying it. my suggestion is to cut your losses, find a dealer that will trade it for a Toyota car of some kind. you'll eat the loss from this one into that loan, by being even more upside down than your are now but over all it will be reliable transportation till you have a need for a suv in your life.

just my two cents

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like what you stated on this thread @wjburken

My advice is if you don't like driving it that much, then peddle it and get something more economical. Also, forget premium on a 5.3L, you aren't going to gain a thing, so save yourself some money there.

Also, not fixing items that are COSTING money each tank with crappy MPG will easily add up to the $700 you speak of. It does suck to not have tools, a mechanic friend, or a reputable fair shop to lean on.

Luckily I've been blessed with a dad that worked on cars his whole career and taught most of us kids. I do however, struggle finding the value in certain repairs based on the condition of the vehicle or a Meh kind of feeling about it.

Look for a good car with a 3.8L (buick and pontiac up to 2008, chevy until 2005). Easy to work on, basically indescribable, and high 20's to low 30's mpg. FWIW.....
On that not, wish my grandpa was still around. He’d help me.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A prime example of why we need to teach our kids about how things work, and how to think through situations and fixing things. I have a lot of hand-me-down tools from my dad and, while they're not the newest, he kept them in fine condition. I've also added to my tool stash as I needed things, and spent a small amount each paycheck buying a tool I'd be needing in the future. I spent many a Saturday in the workshop, or helping him do things around the house, all the while learning without knowing that's what he was doing.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
manifold leak actually suck in air.. more o2 in the exhaust and the ecm corrects by adding more fuel. so yeah it can hurt mpg. but honestly not enough to really matter.

from all your threads it's pretty obvious you don't like the truck and have no real desire to fix it, or more likely it's not actually broken, you just aren't enjoying it. my suggestion is to cut your losses, find a dealer that will trade it for a Toyota car of some kind. you'll eat the loss from this one into that loan, by being even more upside down than your are now but over all it will be reliable transportation till you have a need for a suv in your life.

just my two cents
Man. You got no idea how hard I work at balancing my time in my life. Some handle it better than other. Cudos to you.

I would love to fix my car. But I NEED to know how do it 100 percent. I can’t afford to try and fix something and ruin it in the process. I’ve said 100 times I don’t have the right tools. And yea my friends kinda suck. I know a few guys and they always have excuses for why they can’t help me or help loan some tools.

I’ve tried trading it. I had a 2011 CRV lined Up but dealer wanted me to pay $600 to replace the rotors bc they wobbled at high speeds on the test drive. They wouldn’t pay to fix it. They wanted me to.
I tried to trade for a 15 imapla at same place and they wanted $3000 down with a trade.

I have people offer to buy it. But it’s like than I’m without a car. And I need a car. And it would be really difficult to get another car. Bc they would want an absurd down payment I’m sure

I also tried to trade for a 2018 crv and they worked it with no down payment. But the car payment was $800 a month!
I net $2000 on a good month. I’ve honestly dug a deep hole in one bad purchase with this Tahoe it feels like.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t consider my self for a guy with excuses. Yes I have some trouble allotting my time. But i see myself as a dude with a pretty good work ethic.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A prime example of why we need to teach our kids about how things work, and how to think through situations and fixing things. I have a lot of hand-me-down tools from my dad and, while they're not the newest, he kept them in fine condition. I've also added to my tool stash as I needed things, and spent a small amount each paycheck buying a tool I'd be needing in the future. I spent many a Saturday in the workshop, or helping him do things around the house, all the while learning without knowing that's what he was doing.
I didn’t have a dad lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo