1 ton calipers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, the 11" brake wheel cylinders are different too.

The 3/4t and 1/2t master cylinder have the same part# for gm parts direct.
what I don't know is if the brake pedals are different?

Funny, I was just about to mention hydroboost.:Handshake:

Yeah the wheel cylinders would fall under the category of replacing everything else with new parts, should use the same size brake fittings so no biggie there, chances are if it's a 4wd 4 door it will already have the 11" JB6 brakes.

Compnine's website would be the best bet to check on the brake pedal part #'s but it's hard to wade through some of their stuff since it doesn't seperate all the options out individually. I believe the pedals are different for the Hydroboost trucks where the pushrod connects to the stud on the pedal, something about the stud placement being different. I'm assuming the aftermarket kits address this with an adjustable or different length pushrod.

6 lug 14 bolts also use the same shoes and wheel cylinders as the JB6 10 bolt, found this out when I was checking prices for the 14 bolt I'll eventually get swapped in.

laxman21

Reaction score
The 6 lug 3/4t rotor is the same as the 1/2t. I check part numbers at AA.

Just to throw a new wrinkle into the mix, there were also 8lug 1/2t suburbans.

That makes sense!! The 3/4 ton pad on the 3/4 caliper hits the top hat of the rotor on the 6 lug...i bet the 8 lug has a slightly "skinnier" top hat therefore the 3/4 ton pad doesn't rub up against it!

Interesting on the master cylinder part #.....

Or the mounting points on the 3/4t knuckle are different.

bass1775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ukay, I'm in. What truck do I order these larger calipers from; ie, make and model? My brakes suck and I like to drive fast!

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
I ordered 1999 2500 (suburban) 3/4t calipers - there are a few places online to buy them.

I'm a personal fan of AC Delco and you can find remanufactured for ~$50 - $60 each...and then you get a few bucks back if you send them your old ones.

Side note - i haven't yet received them so i'm not sure on fit...but a few folks on here did and said they fit.

OP
OP
B

bpodskalny

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
update : new hawk pads installed

*it should be noted that i purchased my tahoe very recently, and the previous owner had both front and rear brake pads/shoes replaced right before they traded it in. also, the stock rubber lines have 12 yrs and 150k+ mi on them, and the truck has a brake controller installed (not a sign of an easy life) brake fluid has been changed twice already*

i installed a set of hawk lts pads yesterday. resurfaced rotors and performed the pad seat procedure as per the instructions with the hawk pads. also cleaned and lubed all sliders etc (again!).

front brake performance has increased. it is impossible to say how much exactly, bc i did not measure stopping distances.

i can actually lock the front brakes up now, albeit with a huge amount of effort. this was not possible with the generic pads that i took off.

overall i am happy with the performance of the pads. in my house we dont chew pads up very quickly with the type of driving we do, so 70 bucks for a set isnt a big deal concidering that they will last for years.

i still have a lower pedal than id like. also, the odd rocking/grabbing of the brakes has not changed at all, the old lady says it actually got worse!

stainless lines still havent arrived, but i really dont expect them to remedy the problem.

going to investigate the rear drums next time its up in the air. i had to fix some misplaced and backwards hardware from the previous owner, and im wondering if i overlooked something. i will prob end up doing a complete rear hardware replacement, maybe shoes too.

will update with ss lines and rear hardware replacement. any reccomendations on high quality brake shoes would be appreciated.

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

ah yes, i almost forgot. i made friends with a gm tech the other day, and hes willing to help me out with a tech2 to try and mess with the abs actuator.

i described my problems to him, and he said that hes seen some real ***** stuff happen involving the abs modules before. hafta drive to see him in the next few weeks and will report what i find/learn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269