Stick with OEM calipers or aftermarket??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SpineDock

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Took apart the rear passenger brakes and when comparing to the left side they have 10% remaining and the left pads have 75-80 and look good.

The caliper in question has major tears in the protective boot and won’t compress full like the other side. Going to replace the caliper myself if the Gold Warranty doesn’t cover the caliper.

Finally the question:
If I do it myself, I’d like to get red calipers and brackets but wasn’t sure if brands like Power Stop were good enough.
Any other suggestions would be great!

Thank you

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Took apart the rear passenger brakes and when comparing to the left side they have 10% remaining and the left pads have 75-80 and look good.

The caliper in question has major tears in the protective boot and won’t compress full like the other side. Going to replace the caliper myself if the Gold Warranty doesn’t cover the caliper.

Finally the question:
If I do it myself, I’d like to get red calipers and brackets but wasn’t sure if brands like Power Stop were good enough.
Any other suggestions would be great!

Thank you
the powerstop are just rebuilt oem calipers with new seals, painted red, etc.
they should work just fine.
if money is no object there are a number of other choices.
in any case I wouldn't replace just one caliper unless the other side has pretty low mileage
when doing brakes replace all parts the same, don't just do one side
rotors in pairs, pads in pairs, etc.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the red Powerstop calipers on my rig. They are powder coated red, not painted. They are pretty much just rebuilt stock calipers, but in addition to being powder coated, they have new caliper slides and slide pins, and protective slide pin boots. The bolts that mount the slide pins are definitely not stock, they are regular hex bolts. The stock slide pins use a torx bolt. That's the only thing I don't like about them, is the cheap slide pin hardware. Other than that, they are awesome. And the good thing about them being powder coated, is that they are VERY easy to clean when they get caked up with brake dust. Most of it will literally just wipe right off with a damp rag.

OP
OP
SpineDock

SpineDock

Reaction score
I have the red Powerstop calipers on my rig. They are powder coated red, not painted. They are pretty much just rebuilt stock calipers, but in addition to being powder coated, they have new caliper slides and slide pins, and protective slide pin boots. The bolts that mount the slide pins are definitely not stock, they are regular hex bolts. The stock slide pins use a torx bolt. That's the only thing I don't like about them, is the cheap slide pin hardware. Other than that, they are awesome. And the good thing about them being powder coated, is that they are VERY easy to clean when they get caked up with brake dust. Most of it will literally just wipe right off with a damp rag.
Awesome, thanks guys.
Warranty said should be covered but dang, I really wanted those red calipers!
Eventually she will pass the torch to me and upgrade her way so then I’ll get to mod this hoe out my way!!

ScottyBoy, I might be misunderstanding one part about the stock slide pins using a torx bolt… is that the bolt that I also had to use a money wrench to hold the nut on the other side to loosen the bolt? If so, I think mine was a hex head

Oh Kee Pah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen red, yellow and black Chevrolet caliper covers.
Anyone have thoughts on running those with OE calipers?
Just a thought for our OP here...

jaxscuby

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i was searching for brake upgrades on here and ran across another post that 4 pots that are GM and bolt on.
for less than 200 aside..https://parts.mcelveen.com/p/GMC__Yukon/Caliper/94406215/13536580.html?partner=googlebase

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks guys.
Warranty said should be covered but dang, I really wanted those red calipers!
Eventually she will pass the torch to me and upgrade her way so then I’ll get to mod this hoe out my way!!

ScottyBoy, I might be misunderstanding one part about the stock slide pins using a torx bolt… is that the bolt that I also had to use a money wrench to hold the nut on the other side to loosen the bolt? If so, I think mine was a hex head
Yes. What year is your rig? Mines a 2001, and I think up until at least 01 or 02 they had a T-50 or T-55 for the brake caliper slide pin bolts. They may have changed it in 03, 04, or 05. I upgraded to the 2007 brakes when I ordered my Power stop calipers. I keep forgetting about that. Maybe that's just how the 07 calipers are stock?? I dunno.

duke90

Reaction score
I did the brembo upgrade up front and the powerstop in the rear along with braided SS lines. Do they look cool? Yes. Any difference in feel or daily driving performance? Nope

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn