09 Tahoe Wheel Alignment Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

winmag45

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just had a wheel alignment and noticed the steering wheel has to be turned slightly left when te truck is going straight.The mechanic said as long as the alignment was correct this is not a problem.It just feels funny to me for some reason.Is it true that the alignment can be correct and still have the wheel steer to the left to be straight?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that a wheel alignment is more of an art than a science, in order to get the truck perfectly aligned. Every truck is unique, and the specs that the alignment shops use is really just a starting point, to be subsequently tweaked, until correct for the specific truck.

@PNW VietVet has forgotten more that I will ever learn in this area, so he may chime in.

OP
OP
W

winmag45

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies.I might have to find a better mechanic just to get it right.A dealer service should know what they are doing but you know how that goes.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies.I might have to find a better mechanic just to get it right.A dealer service should know what they are doing but you know how that goes.
I would take it to a shop that specializes in alignments. Some of the dealers around me don't even do alignments in-house. They shop it out to local alignment shops themselves.

BlackedOutHoe

Low & Slow
Reaction score
One of the hardest things I've ever had to find is a good alignment shop. Everyone can change your oil or do a brake job, not everyone can properly align your vehicle to track straight down the road. Even more-so when your vehicle is lifted or lowered. Good luck.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had a wheel alignment and noticed the steering wheel has to be turned slightly left when te truck is going straight.The mechanic said as long as the alignment was correct this is not a problem.It just feels funny to me for some reason.Is it true that the alignment can be correct and still have the wheel steer to the left to be straight?

That's a lazy/dishonest mechanic right there. Not a problem for his lazy butt, he's not driving it with a crooked wheel!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It would be best to post a pic of the readout here so I can see it and the steering wheel should be centered. Having to drive straight down the road with the wheel cocked left is ********.

That is a lazy alignment tech and should have noticed that when he roadtested after his alignment. Make him do it right or get ALL the money back and take elsewhere. The printout should show a before and after reading and should show a right front caster lead to help with road crown.

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It would be best to post a pic of the readout here so I can see it and the steering wheel should be centered. Having to drive straight down the road with the wheel cocked left is ********.

That is a lazy alignment tech and should have noticed that when he roadtested after his alignment. Make him do it right or get ALL the money back and take elsewhere. The printout should show a before and after reading and should show a right front caster lead to help with road crown.

^^^ This. You paid for a job to be done, and done right. Don't settle for lame excuses for lazyiness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slae

Latest posts