08 Yukon Projector Retrofit Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shimmy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like i've tried everything I can to figure this issue out, aside from replacing the morimoto harness or adding capacitors. I'm no electrical engineer :)

Here's my setup:

Morimoto D2S mini 5.0 projectors
Osram CBB w/morimoto XB35 2.0 ballasts
Morimoto relay harness (plug and play)
in OEM yukon headlight housings

My first issue is that the driver side light will intermittently work. If its out, I'll turn off the headlights and then BOTH won't work... I wait a minute or so, then both turn on. Makes me think there's a voltage issue or potential relay?

My second issue is that if both sides work, the passenger side will start to have a faint flicker that comes and goes. Its barely there, but enough for me to notice when I'm driving. Its almost a pulsing type flicker, not like a flashing or strobing. I do not hear any clicking from the relay during this action.

All components are about 2 months old. I've checked all connections and they're fine. I've checked all grounds (wired to factory grounding spots), all seem fine. I've swapped ballasts/igniters and still have the same issue. My last stop is replacing the wiring relay harness or adding a capacitor.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I know many of us have done retrofits. This is my second one on this chassis and never had issues before. What wiring harness are ya'll using?

TIA!

EDIT:
i have 80k miles, and on original alternator. Battery was replaced about 4 years ago.

Geoffsfas10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if one of the relays in the harness isnt functioning properly.

I had a drivers light that wouldnt fire occasionally and it was the result of a bad ground. Since you have tested those, id try relays

OP
OP
S

Shimmy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if one of the relays in the harness isnt functioning properly.

I had a drivers light that wouldnt fire occasionally and it was the result of a bad ground. Since you have tested those, id try relays

welp I replaced the morimoto relay. Seems to have fixed the slight flicker, but I’ll try it out longer. The driver side then failed to turn on still!! I turned the lights off then back on and then the passenger side was off and driver side on! WTF!

OP
OP
S

Shimmy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh! flicker is back. I ended up putting in a different harness (mopar spec) and still have these annoying issues!

mcislak

Reaction score
I was having the same issue after my retrofit. One would fire one would not. I chased it till I gave up. If one don’t work I turn them off wait a minute and turn them back on. Pain the rear but I’ve replaced everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mcislak

Reaction score
Just saw your post in another thread about can bus ballast. If you could share of this works or not I’m dying to know. I traded my Yukon in over the weekend and kept my retrofits. I’m going to re retrofit them into the wife’s suburban so they don’t go to waste

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure how you have your lights setup but if you have power come directly from the battery to your relays (each relay with it's own power wire) and then go directly to ground and use the headlight harness power wire act as the trigger then you should have no issue's.
if you do have it setup that way then go back and double check all your wiring it's feasible that after a couple of months that a connector has worked it's way loose or a wire has rubbed thru and is grounding out. make sure all your connections are tight and if anything is exposed near metal then wrap with electrical tape.
take a meter and check your voltages and grounds to verify everything is good.
once you have verified all of that and still have a issue then swap ballast and/or bulbs (one at a time) and see if the problem follows the bulb or ballast or remains the same. that will narrow the problem down to the culprit.

OP
OP
S

Shimmy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure how you have your lights setup but if you have power come directly from the battery to your relays (each relay with it's own power wire) and then go directly to ground and use the headlight harness power wire act as the trigger then you should have no issue's.
if you do have it setup that way then go back and double check all your wiring it's feasible that after a couple of months that a connector has worked it's way loose or a wire has rubbed thru and is grounding out. make sure all your connections are tight and if anything is exposed near metal then wrap with electrical tape.
take a meter and check your voltages and grounds to verify everything is good.
once you have verified all of that and still have a issue then swap ballast and/or bulbs (one at a time) and see if the problem follows the bulb or ballast or remains the same. that will narrow the problem down to the culprit.

Yes, I'm using the morimoto harness so power is fed directly from the battery. The morimoto harness doesn't have two separate relays. It has a "motocontrol" module. Here is what i'm using:

http://www.morimotohid.com/mopar-h13.html

I was originally using their regular H13 hi/low harness and still had issues with that.

I've double checked all connections and they're fine. I've also checked all ground points and they are fine. I've swapped ballasts, bulbs, igniters from side to side and they are all fine.

The one thing i noticed today was that it appeared the driver side was getting intermittent power. I disconnected the ballast for a few minutes and reconnected and it fired up again! I'm at a loss at this point.

thanks for chiming in tho! I appreciate ya taking the time to brainstorm this.

Last edited:

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
double check your ground. I had this issue on my retrofit