'07 Yukon XL Tailgate not going up/down via power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BSarteSr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read through several threads about tailgates going up/down but they all seemed to be about the lift shocks or the latch. My '07 Yukon XL Denali is not raising nor lowering the tailgate with the power from the motor.
I can raise and lower the tailgate manually and latch/unlatch without any problems. When I try to use any (remote, handle, or front button) power function (up or down) it just makes some noises like it is trying to open/close the tailgate.

Any pictures or videos for some instructions on the liftgate motor/mechanism.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes one of the buttons gets stuck and the others won’t work. The other threads you refer to may be talking about the lift struts versus the ones on your glass. Check the wiring where the lift gate meets the body. They’re known to degrade.

OP
OP
BSarteSr

BSarteSr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes one of the buttons gets stuck and the others won’t work. The other threads you refer to may be talking about the lift struts versus the ones on your glass. Check the wiring where the lift gate meets the body. They’re known to degrade.
I checked the console switch but now you make me want to go back and check it again

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully it’s that. If not you might start looking at the lift gate motor.

OP
OP
BSarteSr

BSarteSr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, double checked, moved the position of the console switch from auto to manual, back to auto testing in between changes, could hear the motor trying to something.

Now I have to figure how you remove that side panel, looks like I have to take the whole lower half off to see what is going on with the motor.

Anyone know of a YouTube video that cover that for an '07 Yukon XL?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’ll take the back inside panel off and you’re right it’s a little bit of a pain. I haven’t looked for a video but I wish I had. Start with the clips on the inside around the edges with a pry tool and work toward the middle. It’s been so long since I replaced mine I can’t remember how I finally got it off. We have the same rig.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, double checked, moved the position of the console switch from auto to manual, back to auto testing in between changes, could hear the motor trying to something.

Now I have to figure how you remove that side panel, looks like I have to take the whole lower half off to see what is going on with the motor.

Look down along the lift bar on the passenger side and see what the motor is doing when you press the button. You should be able to get a decent look by holding the rubber flaps back. Could very well have some issues with the gear drive on the motor.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Check out the video I posted here.
Should be able to just pull the rubber gasket back a little and see the motor and if things are turning or not.

View attachment 255329

Here is a video of a guy working on the liftgate.

OP
OP
BSarteSr

BSarteSr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out the video I posted here.
wjburken:

Did you make that video?

I watched it (excellent video) and got the panel side panel off, disconnected the computer and took the whole motor with brackets off/out.

Learned the hard way that I need the computer hooked up to the vehicle to be able to open the tailgate latch because I did not take the tailgate cover off, so I had to crawl back in from the front to reconnect the computer so I can open the tailgate. LOLLLL

So now I have the motor out and wondering if their is any way to bench test it? Probably not.

Any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645