07 Tahoe with ticking and oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bvilchez

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The proverbial ticking sound has arisen from my vehicle and its starting to worry me. I've been doing some searching on here and am coming to the conclusion of a possible lifter.

But something I haven't seen mentioned in all the other threads is I'm also experiencing an oil leak as well when noise started. I can see the oil as wire set but trying to locate the source is nearly impossible. I'll keep searching for the oil leak source but any other recommendations on what to do?

few things about the truck....07 Tahoe with 170k miles. Fluids just changed 1500 miles ago. When on a small road trip with the family after doing the oil change. They added Lucas to the crankcase during the oil change due to its mileage...1st time it's ever been done. But the oil filter used is some crappy brand I never heard of. I put in about 7.5 oz of SeaFoam into the crankcase to see if it would help but I haven't driven it around enough yet. I'm going to do another oil change (myself this time) in about 300 miles just to make sure viscosity is correct and use an AC/Delco filter.

Anything else I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you running a high mileage synthetic oil? I would stay away from the additives.

tx tahoe z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have AFM? If so, the ticking is likely a collapsed AFM lifter. Be prepared to spend ~$2,000 for that repair. They will likely try to upsell you on a new oil pump, which I would decline if you get the repair done soon before the oil gets contaminated with metal pieces.

Use Wix 51522 filter, available at OReillys and most other parts stores. It's the high capacity version of the normal filter, offering more filter media for longer oil change intervals.

OP
OP
B

bvilchez

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you running a high mileage synthetic oil? I would stay away from the additives.

Yes I am running high mileage synthetic. I also had never added an additive before until now.

Going to look into the WIX filter. Always used Mobil1 filter and oil. How does that Valvoline perform?

Do you have AFM? If so, the ticking is likely a collapsed AFM lifter. Be prepared to spend ~$2,000 for that repair. They will likely try to upsell you on a new oil pump, which I would decline if you get the repair done soon before the oil gets contaminated with metal pieces.

Use Wix 51522 filter, available at OReillys and most other parts stores. It's the high capacity version of the normal filter, offering more filter media for longer oil change intervals.

No AFM. If it is the lifter I'll change it at home. Never even thought about the oil pump but that wouldn't cause the ticking...or so I think it wouldn't.

Since putting the SeaFoam this morning the ticking at idle is gone and while accelerating is still there but has minimized. It could be me but I'm starting to feel some loss of engine power. But again that could just be me. I think I'm going to go ahead and do plugs. They were done at ~85k-90k on the engine. Any thoughts on that?

OP
OP
B

bvilchez

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Strange but today no oil leak when I took the kids to school this morning. Doing plugs and oil change this weekend.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ezdaar, what is your oil change process? Do you run sea foam every time? If so, how long? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayden with 2011 y