07 Tahoe ltz external amplifier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Puremuzikarmy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 07 Tahoe LTZ with the Bose system. I have 12.1 Tesla style head unit. I’d like to keep the stock Bose system and add another amp and 2 15 in subs. I used the rca outputs from the head unit and it sounds horrible! So with some research found where people used a hi low line converter. I tapped into the four wires underneath console from factory sub. It sounds horrible. Subs do not hit the way they should at all. Can’t find hardly anything on the headunit. I turned off/on factory amp from the headunit and still nothing. By no means am I a professional, but I’ve never had an issue installing a car stereo. I’m using 2 guage wire so it should have plenty of power. 2,000 watt amp. Any info would be greatly appreciated! I’m at my wits end, and ready to ****** this headunit out! IMG_6845.jpeg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 Tahoe LTZ with the Bose system. I have 12.1 Tesla style head unit. I’d like to keep the stock Bose system and add another amp and 2 15 in subs. I used the rca outputs from the head unit and it sounds horrible! So with some research found where people used a hi low line converter. I tapped into the four wires underneath console from factory sub. It sounds horrible. Subs do not hit the way they should at all. Can’t find hardly anything on the headunit. I turned off/on factory amp from the headunit and still nothing. By no means am I a professional, but I’ve never had an issue installing a car stereo. I’m using 2 guage wire so it should have plenty of power. 2,000 watt amp. Any info would be greatly appreciated! I’m at my wits end, and ready to ****** this headunit out! View attachment 422895

What sounds horrible with the RCAs from the HU? Using the four wires to the sub isn't good because that signal has already been optimized for that small sub. If you can find the wiring schematics, you can tap into the full range signals going to the sub amp. I was gonna do this by soldering some female RCA pigtails to them and plugging RCAs to those to run to the amp and use the amp's crossover to filter out the mids and highs.

kurwarex

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Cheap radio, does not have 4-volt output on the RCA, meaning the signal coming out of those RCA's is just crap low quality.
The speaker wires going to the factory sub are on a crossover so that signal is optimized for the factory sub not your 15". Try to get a signal out of one of the door 6.5" speakers for the hi-low line converter, but that might not even be good because Bose also optimizes that signal again for that factory speaker.
You might have to change your head unit to something with a 4-volt dedicated subwoofer output or get an amp replacement and speakers for your door speakers and by-bass the Bose completely, this would give you a bit more flexibility. that's my 2-cents.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a big ass head unit dang.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts