07+ Brake upgrade on a 00-06 NBS, is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Fosscore I also replaced my brakes about a year ago so I know the struggle you're having justifying this before you wear the other stuff out! I had installed drilled/slotted rotors and EBC pads. I looked back and saw I had only paid $135 for all 4 rotors so the front brakes only cost me about $130 including pads. The bigger rotors are more expensive I found out. Like twice as much. But... I decided to just go for it. I was waiting and waiting, looking at my brake pads every few days hoping they were getting worn out..pretty funny.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did when I did mine. It's really easy if your using a vacuume bleeder. Just keep the master cylinder topped off. You are correct in the order, r rear, l rear, r front, l front.
Did you just bleed them until you could see new fluid coming out? Also, do you remember how much fluid you needed? I don't have hydroboost.

David Paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you just bleed them until you could see new fluid coming out? Also, do you remember how much fluid you needed? I don't have hydroboost.

My fluid was pretty new to start so it was hard to tell when the new fluid started coming out. I gussestimated about a 1/3 of a quart for the r/ rear, figuring that got all of the fluid out of the master cylinder and the long line to the back. Then less then 1/3 for the l/ rear. About 1/4 for the r/ front and then the rest for the l/front, the shortest line. Not an exact science but worked for me. So all together 1 quart.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Red Rocket

Thx that info. I thought I remembered you having upgraded your NBS setup recently similar to mine. The Powerstop pads and rotors weren't that much in the grand scheme of things and my buddy and I did the labor at his shop for free. If your report on this NNBS changeout gets good marks, it may find it's way on my list. Thx man. Standing by.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, today I installed everything in the front and was going to wait on the rear lines for another day. I tried bleeding the fronts only and I'm failing. I'm not sure if I need to start at the rear and then do the fronts. I'm using a pneumatic bleeder and it seemed on the right front the bleeder valve was letting the bleeder suck air instead of from the line. It seemed loosely threaded, so I removed it and added pipe tape and reinstalled it. I think I'm getting all fluid now but it's hard to tell, the tube is translucent instead of being a clear tube. Before starting, I sucked the old fluid from the reservoir so I'm hoping I didn't get air in the system. so...any advice would be appreciated. I think I'll call it a day. Hopefully tomorrow I can get this done.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried it some more, replaced the hose with a clear one and started at the right rear, then left rear. Got clear fluid out of both so I'm sure new fluid got to the rear. No air bubbles and I pulled about 3/4 of a quart through there. Then I went to the right front and now I can see I'm getting mostly air. Same with left front, so I'm not sure if it's the bleeder valves leaking so I'm not getting good suction. Sorry to hijack the entire thread but I need help!

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do the same thing when I bleed brakes on old fluid! I'll suck out most all the fluid out of the master cylinder until just before it hits the bottom (don't want air in the system) and bleed the crap out of the lines till I see newish fluid!

I have all this next week off after tonight at work so looks like I might actually get a chance to do this NNBS style mod with the calipers and rotors I've had in my garage for months! Also hoping I get time to also change out my drivers door hinge pins to get rid of the air noise coming through the door while driving!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK I finally got everything bled. I did the fronts the old-fashioned way: a hose stuck in a bottle of fluid, loosen the bleeder and pump the pedal until there's no more air. I could watch the driver side and for the passenger side, I just pumped about 1/2 quart through. Took it for a drive and so far so good but I can't do a hard stop until the pads are broken in. I'll keep updates coming. Looks great though! In the 3rd pic you can see I was able to reuse the factory clamp for the line by bending it open and then reclamping it on the protective Goodridge sleeve.IMG_5301.JPG IMG_5304.JPG IMG_5306.JPG IMG_5307.JPG IMG_5305.JPG

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_5308.JPG IMG_5309.JPG IMG_5311.JPG IMG_5312.JPG IMG_5313.JPG A few more pics. I was surprised that the pads weren't much bigger. In fact they look shorter but fatter, so maybe they're about the same surface area. And now I need to wash my truck, especially the wheels.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually got around to finally installing the '07 brake setup I've been kicking around in my garage for about a year now just today and I'd say it was a worthy upgrade. Not night and day, not sure if that is because I went with a completely stock setup of rotors, calipers, and pads but is really an improvement overall! Nothing at all nice as Red Rocket ended up with but then again mine isn't anything to look at so no need to start now! lol
Gonna give it a few days of driving it around to get a full feel of it all but at least my front brakes actually feel like they are doing something unlike before so that is a good thing! Going to start collecting parts to perform the Hydroboost swap as I think once I get the squishiness out of the brake pedal it will be a way better experience using the brakes on this tank!

So far so good fellas, and the best part is it is all completely 100% bolt up with no modifications needed to install it all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA