'05 Yukon 5.3,..Starter problem or WHAT??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it possible your alternator is dead?
Nope.
Nothing shows any low voltage. Gauge at just over 14 when running. Battery check shows good.
Yesterday, when it wouldn't start, the only thing I knew was no reaction to the starter. Nothing dimmed when I turned the key.....
No evidence of a low battery.... ( We all know what that is like)

But I appreciate all the suggestions !!

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the 800s show failure records? They are a brief recording of what was going on when the trouble code set.
Uh, I don't know how to do that.....
I did buy an OBDII code reader ( Ancel ), but I haven't opened the package.....

I have no trouble code 'set'.... ( I'm a dummy with this stuff, but I should learn.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It could be the starter, the relay and it could be the ignition switch or maybe even a tight dirty connection at the battery or....etc.

When you tried the key and it acted dead, did you immediately turn off and try again and it started or you let sit and it then started?

I reread the initial problem steps. Very easily could be the signs of an ignition switch problem. Neutral switch?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the 800s show failure records? They are a brief recording of what was going on when the trouble code set.
There are no codes for a bad starter, starter wiring or starter realy in OBD II protocol just like there isnt a trouble code for the fuel pump and its relay and wiring. GM would be making it too easy for us if they had that.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
throw a hammer on the floor in the back and next time it wont start reach under and give it a couple taps with the hammer and see if it starts.
if that fails to work, jumper the relay post's with the relay pulled, if that works then it's either the relay or ignition related.
sometimes the starters get a flat spot inside and wont go, hence the hammer trick.
this rules nothing else out though just something to try so your hopefully not stranded somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal