'05 Yukon 5.3,..Starter problem or WHAT??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything was fine... a 5 month old starter ( not a rebuilt)..... Yesterday, turning the key,...nothing.... tried a dozen times.

Planning to have it towed to mechanic.... This morning, I started the truck and started as if nothing is wrong.

Battery and everything is fine, yesterday and this morning..... Is it a problem starter? Or something else?????????

Help.....

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your wiring, especially your grounds. Check your fuel pressure. Also, are you getting any dash lights?

Uh, if possible, get pending codes run with a code reader. That will help 5he most.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your wiring, especially your grounds. Check your fuel pressure. Also, are you getting any dash lights?

Uh, if possible, get pending codes run with a code reader. That will help 5he most.
Thanks for the suggestions..... I am going to check connections at the starter. But everything is normal... no warning lights on dash...... yesterday, turning the key to start, everything was normal, but no sound from the starter.
I am going to get a replacement ' STRTR ' relay in underhood fuse block..
( I tapped the relay, like in the old days, yesterday, but it didn't change anything, but that doesn't mean the relay is reliable.....

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The relay is an inexpensive repair attempt and worth it IMO. Doesn't matter if it seems fine when works. Check and double check the connections. You replaced that starter, correct? As has been suggested, check ALL GROUNDS. You may just have an intermittent faulty starter. Is starter a new starter and what brand? I would run only Genuine GM or AC Delco new starters.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The relay is an inexpensive repair attempt and worth it IMO. Doesn't matter if it seems fine when works. Check and double check the connections. You replaced that starter, correct? As has been suggested, check ALL GROUNDS. You may just have an intermittent faulty starter. Is starter a new starter and what brand? I would run only Genuine GM or AC Delco new starters.

My mechanic is a straight forward guy.... I know the starter is 'new'..... I believe it is an AC Delco.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the battery connections can be at fault.Even though they seem tight. Good luck.
I thought of that first...... But very new battery, fully charged, connections tight.....
There was no sign of a 'strain' when trying to start, yesterday. No strain this morning when it started as usual. ( leaving to get a new relay ).....

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
OK, but "believing" it is an AC Delco and knowing for sure it is an AC Delco or Genuine GM is two different things. Your rig, your call but I would assume it is under warranty anyway.

I am way *a-n-a-l* about knowing things for sure, especially when it is my money involved. It likely is new and I ASSUME it says new on the invoice for the work and if was my shop, that invoice also would list the warranty times on that invoice. I am not saying it is not new or not Genuine GM or AC Delco, I am just responding to your post.

I assume you have contacted your mechanic about this concern, what does he say?

Last edited:
OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, but "believing" it is an AC Delco and knowing for sure it is an AC Delco or Genuine GM is two different things. Your rig, your call but I would assume it is under warranty anyway.

I am way **** about knowing things for sure, especially when it is my money involved. It likely is new and I ASSUME it says new on the invoice for the work and if was my shop, that invoice also would list the warranty times on that invoice. I am not saying it is not new or not Genuine GM or AC Delco, I am just responding to your post.

I assume you have contacted your mechanic about this concern, what does he say?
I 'hear' what you are saying....... My mechanic is won of the good guys....

He agreed with me about my starter issue.... No way of knowing what the cause is....
He is confident about the starter, but as per warranty, if it wasn't the starter. We would be back to the beginning. ( Since the truck started up just fine all day today. We agreed to try a relay, ( which I just bought ) GM part - made in Tiwan )....... I am keeping it in the truck if the starter fails again, then swap it and see what happens. The starter was around $200.00.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The thing about intermittent problems is that you have it fail, you replace the relay and it starts, you think it is now fixed and relay was the problem but maybe not. You could have just as easily kicked the left rear tire and had it start too. I hope the relay fixes it. I do know that EVERY time I ever replaced an electric fuel pump in my shops, we ALWAYS replaced the relay as well. If there is a relay that controls anything on the vehicle, I wanted to replace it if the major component it controls is replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE